Chapter 21: If I Could Tell Her

Delilah and Raph made some quiet small talk as she stood up and stretched her legs. They eventually agreed to go walk around the roof for fresh air, as the hospital seemed to get stuffier by the minute.

"Was Vincent here earlier? I heard both of your voices but not the words," Delilah asked after a while of silence on the roof. Raph chuckled

"Yeah, she was. We were just talking," Raph responded with a shrug as he leaned on a railing.

"What were you talking about?" Delilah asked.

Delilah noticed that Raph's face flushed with color after she asked. He tried to laugh, but it was so fake that even he flinched.

"Just... Stuff..." Raph shrugged. He was trying to play it off.

"What kind of stuff?" Delilah asked. She leaned closer to him.

"Why do you want to know?"

"I'm just curious," she shrugged. She started back toward the stairway. "I'm going to see who's awake."

Raph watched her walk in silence. Just as she got to the door, he decided to take Vincent's advice.

Just... Not yet.

♦️♦️♦️

Vincent noticed Delilah re-enter the room, but Raph had not. She approached Delilah. She decided to sit in the chair she sat in just a few minutes before.

"Good afternoon, Dee," Vincent greeted. Delilah jumped slightly.

"Hi Vincent," Delilah responded. "Sorry, I just... Didn't see you."

"All good. I figured." Vincent chuckled. "Is Raph still on the roof?"

"Yeah. How did you know we were on the roof?"

"I overheard," Vincent shrugged. "Is everything alright?" Delilah chuckled.

"I have no idea."

"He said that you and he were talking about 'stuff,' but wouldn't tell me what," Delilah whispered. She leaned forward and put her elbows on her knees. "He worries me sometimes."

"You love him, so it's normal to worry about him sometimes," Vincent said.

"Yeah... Wait, how'd you know that-"

"You're in love?" Vincent chuckled slightly. "He told me before you woke up."

"Oh..."

"You should have seen the way he was looking at you. He seemed to be weak in the knees and head over heels for you."

"He never, well, shows it... That's a lie and I know it," Delilah dropped her head slightly.

"Oh?" Vincent had a feeling she knew what Delilah was going to say.

"It's just... There's always a little thing."

"He's never made me feel bad about being myself around him. I've been uncomfortable around him only once but that wasn't his fault, I made it awkward and walked off. He lets me know he's here and not leaving, which is something we both need... He just... It's like..." Delilah struggled to find the right words.