Chapter 4: An Offer Delilah Definitely Refused

Delilah walked like a zombie when the shop opened. Dill noticed and was chuckling. After the breakfast rush, Dill said something to Delilah about it.

"Someone slept beautifully," Dill laughed, smiling geekily. Delilah rolled her eyes.

"You actually need to sleep in order to do it beautifully," she said. She used air quotes around "beautifully." Dill laughed harder.

"Want me to make you your favorite cappuccino?" Dill asked. "On me."

"Nah, you don't have to pay for it. But please do make it, I actually want to work properly today." Delilah paused as Dill started making her drink.

"Oh, I got into NYU by the way," Delilah stated off-handedly.

Dill had to remake the drink, for they had dropped it.

♦️♦️♦️

Dill and Delilah sat at one of the bigger tables between the lunch rush and evening rush. Delilah read Dill the email NYU sent her the day before.

"That's awesome, DeeDee!" Dill smiled as she finished. "But how are you going to pay for it, with running the shop and paying your rent and such?"

"Columbus Place offered me to stay there for free for life, and I don't have to pay any fucking taxes for this place. City Hall heard about what happened and has the nearest church paying my taxes since they don't pay taxes and have money to spare."

"That looks good on their part, too, so a win-win," Dill shrugged. Delilah chuckled and agreed.

Delilah looked at the guitar that sat in a stand, sitting without being played for about two weeks. Dill noticed this and smiled.

"You should play, just a little. It's just us, and Mrs. Alderman. And Freddie, but he won't judge, for he is a cat," Dill explained.

"Oh, dear, please do. I remember when you, Marquis, and Leslie used to play. You are such a beautiful singer, dear," Mrs. Alderman smiled. "Go ahead, dear, I don't bite."

"You can't say no, now," Dill clarified. Delilah rolled her eyes.

"Fine."

"Shall I play the song that was named after me when the Plain White T's came to the Abraço that famous day?" Delilah smiled, asking Mrs. Alderman.

"Oh yes," the older woman smiled.

"Wait, really?" Dill asked.

"Yeah."

"Explain?" Delilah laughed.

"Sure."

"We weren't allowed to open until 2007, so we were just a coffee stand in Central Park. That's what we had a license for at the time. In 2005- I was three- the Plain White T's were in the city and stopped by. I was the only one of my siblings born at the time and they hung out with me in the playgrounds for the entire day. They said they'd write a song for me, then blurted out the first verse and chorus by the end of the day. The song is more about romance, but that first verse is about the friendship of a relationship- which I can proudly say I inspired."