Chapter 28: ASL: American Sign Language & A Second Lease

Donnie would not let Delilah speak at all when he saw that she opened her eyes. Raph was kneeling next to her the moment Donnie spoke to her. She was happy to see him, even if she was watching him while meditating. He gently kissed her forehead and Delilah felt like melting into him.

Tina gently tapped Delilah's foot to get her attention. Delilah looked at Tina sitting on the couch, Doctor Who stickers still in her hand. They both smiled.

Donnie told Casey and Dill that Delilah was awake, and Dill almost screamed.

"Delilah you idiot! Donnie and I both told you!" Dill said, tripping over themself as they made their way to kneel next to Raph, next to Delilah's head. They relaxed as soon as they looked at her, though. "But I'm glad you're okay." Delilah smiled.

Delilah wanted to speak, but she knew Donnie would burst a blood vessel if she did. So, she used sign language to talk to Dill.

"Can you ask Don if I can sit up?" Delilah signed. Dill nodded.

"She wants to know if she can sit up?" Dill asked Donnie.

"No, I want you to move as little as possible for the next 24 hours," Donnie responded as he started cleaning the tools he used. Delilah flipped him off. "You can't fight me on this. You almost died while I was stitching you up, Dee. You lost a lot of blood- it's going to take a few days to clean the truck." Delilah just pouted.

"Can you ask if he has Lidocaine topical?" Delilah signed after a while.

"She wants to know if you have Lidocaine topical?" Dill asked, confused.

"I do at the Lair," Donnie responded. "It's a local anesthetic that works by blocking nerve signals in the body," he explained to a confused Dill, who nodded.

Mick was finally able to lower herself from the chair in the center of the truck. She sat next to Tina on the couch and looked at Delilah. Her eyes widened when she saw the long, brutal mark on Delilah's neck.

"That looks painful..." Mick whispered.

"Tell Mick that it is painful," Delilah signed to Dill, smiling slightly.

"It is, she says," Dill responded.

"Why did you go into the fight?" Mick asked. Tina glared at her and Donnie threw a roll of gauze at her. "What? I knew none of you were going to ask!"

"Tell her I would go into battle for all of you, even if it meant my death," she signed to Dill.

"She'd go into battle for all of us, even if it meant her death," Dill said. They smiled slightly, but it faded. "That is chaotic and dangerous, and you have to think before you act."

"But I would be thinking. It would seem I am acting without thinking, but I am."

"What would you be thinking about?" Dill asked.

"That I love everyone in this truck," Delilah signed.

"So much you'd risk your life?" Dill exclaimed.

Dill was getting frustrated. Delilah noticed and felt bad for making them upset.