Chapter 2.

"Here we are!" My mother squeals as we drive through the stone gate and into the campus.

The campus looks just as great in person as it did in the brochures and online, I'm impressed. The buildings are old and elegant. Hundreds of people, parents hugging and kissing their children goodbye, clusters of freshman, dressed head to toe in Washington State University gear, and a few stragglers, lost and confused, fill the area. The size of the campus is intimidating but hopefully after a few weeks I will feel at home. The orientation is short and I sit alone, my usual forte. A seemingly nice middle aged woman gives me my dorm key and sends me on my way. I already feel more freedom than I have in the last eighteen years.

"I want to see your dorm room before I go honey. I just can't believe you are in college! My only daughter, a college student, living on her own. I just can't believe it." She whines and wipes her eyes, careful to not mess up her makeup. Chase follows us, carrying my bags as we navigate through the corridor.

"Now, just be sure you remember everything I told you, you don't want to do anything to ruin your future," she checks the time on her watch, a watch that she certainly couldn't afford but purchased anyway.

"It's B22.. we are in C hall," I tell them. Luckily, I see a large B painted on the wall. "Down here," I instruct and they follow. I'm thankful that I only brought a few clothes, a blanket, and some of my favorite books with me, giving Chase less to carry.

"B22," my mother  huffs. Her heels  are outrageously high for the amount of walking we have just endured. I slide the key into the old wooden door, it creaks open and my mother gasps. The room is small, with two tiny beds and two desks. My eyes travel to the reason of my mother's suprise. One side of the room is covered in music posters, mostly bands I have never heard of, the faces on them covered in piercings and tattoos. The girl laying across the bed has bright red hair, eyes lined with what looks like inches of black liner, and her arms are covered in tattoos.

"Hey," the stranger says, offering a smile. Her smile is quite intriguing, much to my surprise. "I'm Addison," she says and sits up on her elbows.

"h..hey.. I'm Charli," I choke, all of my manners flying out the door.

"Welcome to WSU, where the dorms are tiny and the parties are huge," the crimson haired girl grins. Her head falls back into a fit of laughter. My mother's jaw is resting, wide open on the carpet,  and Chase shifts uncomfortably. Addison walks over, closing the gap between us and wraps her thin arms around me. I am taken aback by her affection but I return her kind gesture. A knock sounds at the door as Chase drops my bags onto the floor and I can't help but hope that this is all some sort of sick joke.

"Come in!" My new roommate yells, the door opens and two boys walk inside before she finishes her greeting.

Boys inside the female dorms on the first day? Maybe Washington State was a bad decision. I assume by the pained expression covering my mother's face, she is thinking the same. The poor woman looks like she may pass out any moment. I wouldn't blame her.

"Hey, you Addison roomie?" The blonde boy asks. He doesn't have as many tattoos as the other boy, but he has them.

"Um.. yea. My name is Charli," I manage to say.

"I'm Sam. Don't look so nervous, it throws people off." He says with a smile, reaching out to touch my shoulder. "You'll love it here," his smile is warm and inviting despite his harsh appearance.

"I'm ready guys," Addison says, grabbing her thick, black bag from the bed. My eyes shift to the tall black haired boy leaning against the wall. My eyes travel down his black t-shirt to his arms which are covered in tattoos as well, I expect him to introduce himself but he doesn't, instead he rolls his eyes in annoyance and pulls a cellphone from the pocket of his tight, black jeans. He definitely isn't as friendly as his friend.

"See you around Charli," Sam says and the three of them exit the room. I let out a long breath. To say that was uncomfortable would be an understatement.

"You are getting a new dorm!' My mother yells as soon as the door clicks shut.

"No, I can't." I sigh, It's fine mother," I do my best to hide my nerves. I don't know how well this will work out either but the last thing I want is my overbearing mother causing a scene on my first day of college. "I'm sure she wont be around anyway," I try to convince her, along with myself.

"Absolutely not, we are going to switch now," her long blonde hair is flipped to one shoulder, "you will not be in a room with someone who allows males into her room, those punks at that!" She shrieks.   

"Mother.. please," I look into her blue eyes then to Chase, "let's just see how it goes. Please," I beg. She looks around to the room again, taking in the décor covering Addison's side and huffs dramatically.

"Fine." she spits, much to my surprise.