Chapter 53.

Karen has made lots of sweets for us to eat. I eat a few while Karen and I discuss her love for baking. Liam doesn't join us in the dining room but it doesn't seem to cause any suspicion.

"I love baking as well, I am just no good at it" I tell her and she laughs.

"I would love to teach you, I am quite the baker." she boasts and I smile. Hope is evident in her brown eyes and I nod.

"That would be great" I don't have the heart to say no. I feel for her, she is really trying to make an effort to get to know me. She believes me to be Max's girlfriend and I can't tell her otherwise. Max has made no move to tell her or her father either, which gives me a swell of hope. I wish this night was how my life could always be, enjoying spending time with Max, her eyes constantly meeting mine as I converse with her father and soon to be step-mother. She is being nice, for the last hour at least and her thumb rubs over my knuckles in a gentle gesture that gives me a constant string of butterflies. The rain continues to pour outside and the wind howls..

After we finish the desserts, Max gets up from the table. I look at her questionably and she leans down to whisper in my ear.

"I will be right back, just going to the loo" she says and I smile. I watch her as she walks away and disappears down the hall.

"We both cannot thank you enough, it is so wonderful having Max here, even if it's only one dinner" Karen says and Ken takes her hand above the table.

"She is right, it is wonderful as her father to see my only child in love. I had always worried she wouldn't be capable.. she was an .. angry child." Ken mutters and looks at me.

He must notice how I shift uncomfortably in my seat. " I am sorry, I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, we just love to see her happy" Happy? Love? I choke on my breath and break into a heap of coughs, the cool water in my glass slides down my throat, calming it and I look back at them. They think Max is in love with me? It would be incredibly rude to laugh at them but they obviously don't know Max.

Before I can respond Max returns and I thank the heavens that I didn't have to respond to their sweet but false assumptions. She doesn't sit down, instead she stands behind me with her hands on the back of the chair.

"We really should get going, I have to take Charli back to the dorms" Max tells them.

"Oh, don't be silly. You two should stay tonight. It is storming outside and we have plenty of room, right Ken?" She turns to her fiancée and he nods.

"Of course, you're both welcome to stay" He says and Max looks at me. I want to stay. To extend my time with Max, especially when she is in such a good mood.

"I don't mind" I answer and try to make eye contact with Max. I don't want to upset her by wanting to stay here any longer. Her eyes are unreadable but she doesn't seem to be angry.

"Great! Then it's settled. I will show Charli to a room, unless you will be staying with Man in hers?" She asks, there is no accusation behind her voice, only kindness.

"No, I would like my own room please. If that is okay?" I ask and Max glares at me. So she wanted me in her room with her? The thought excites me but I don't feel comfortable with them knowing Max and I are at that point yet. My snarky subconscious reminds me that we aren't dating at all, or even close to it. I have a boyfriend who is not Max, I ignore her as usual and follow Karen upstairs. Max doesn't follow.

She shows me to a room directly across from Max's. It isn't quite as large as her room but it is decorated just as beautifully. The bed is a little smaller and sits on a white frame against the wall. There are pictures of boats and anchors scattered through the room. I thank her multiple times and she hugs me again before leaving me to my room.