Chapter 54.

My hands find the cold metal of the doorknob to Max's room and I twist it. Thank god it opens, she must have forgotten to lock it.

"NO! Please.." she yells again. If someone is hurting her, I have no idea what I will do, I didn't think this through. I fumble around for the lamp and switch it on. Max is shirtless and tangled in the thick comforter, thrashing and tossing in the web. I remember Addison briefly mentioning that she heard Max has nightmares, the rumor must be true.

Without thinking, I sit on the bed and reach for her shoulder. Her skin is hot, too hot. "Max!" I say quietly, trying to wake her. Her head snaps to the side and she whimpers but doesn't wake.

"Max, wake up!" I cry and shake her harder while my body moves to sit beside her. Both of my hands go to her shoulders once more and I shake her again. Her eyes fly open, terror fills them for a brief moment before confusion, then relief. Beads of sweat cover her forehead.

"Charli." She chokes. The way she says my name breaks my heart then heals it. Within seconds ahe untangles Her arms and brings them to my back, pushing me forward to lay on her chest. The wetness of her chest startles me but I stay put. I can hear her heart beating, pumping rapidly against my cheek. Poor Max. I put both of my hands on her sides, hugging her. She stroke my hair as she repeats my name over and over, as if I am her talisman in the dark.

"Max, are you okay?" My words are lower than a whisper.

"No." She confesses. Her chest is rising and falling slower than it was, but her breathing is still shallow. I don't want to push her to discuss what terror she has just dreamed.

I don't ask her if she wants me to stay, somehow I know she does. When I lift up to turn the lamp off her body stills.

"I am going to switch the light off, or do you want it on?" I ask her. Once she realizes my intentions she relaxes, letting me reach further to the lamp.

"Off please." She begs. Once the room returns to darkness, I lay my head back on her chest. I would imagine laying this way, straddling her body would be an uncomfortable, but it is comforting to her and I both. Hearing her heart beat under the hard surface of her chest is calming, more calming than the patter of the rain on the roof. I would do anything, give anything to be able to spend every night with Max, to lie this way with her, to have her arms wrapped around my back as her breathing slows.

....

I wake up to Max shifting below me. I am still laying on top of her, my knees at her sides. My cheek pressed against her chest, my head lifts up and she makes eye contact with me. In the light of day I am not sure if I am wanted the way I was last night. II can't read her expression, leaving my nerves to take over. My neck feels sore from sleeping on Max's hard chest, and I need to stretch my legs out.

"Good morning." She gives me a dimpled smile, soothing my fear.

"Good morning." I move to climb off her but she stops me.

"Where are you going?" She questions.

"My neck hurts." I reveal and she brings me to lay next to her, my back pressed against her front. She startles me by bringing her hand to my neck, causing me to jump. I recover quickly as her hand begins to rub my neck. My eyes close and I wince a little at her contact with the ache but it slowly disappears as she massages.

"Thank you." She speaks before me. I turn my head to look at her.

"For what?" Maybe she is telling me to thank her for the neck rub?

"For.. coming in here. For staying." Her cheeks flush and her eyes dart away from mine. She is embarrassed. Max embarrassed, she never ceases to amaze and confuse me.