Chapter 94

"Babe.." I feel Max's breath on my cheek.

"Go away." I groan and roll over to bury my head in the couch.

"Charli...please. I can't sleep." She whines.

I don't look at her, I can't keep letting her treat me this way. I know I should have left earlier but in all honesty, where would I go?

She sighs and I feel her presence leave. I grab my phone and check the time, it is a little after midnight so I try to force myself to go back to sleep.

"No!!" I hear Max scream from the other room. I jump off the couch without thinking and rush to our bedroom. She is thrashing in the thick blanket and covered in sweat.

"Max, wake up." I say gently and shake her shoulder, moving a soaked curl from her forehead with my other hand.

Her eyes snap open and they are full of terror.

"It's okay.. shh.. it was just a nightmare." I do my best to soothe her. My fingers play in her hair and then brush over her cheek.

She is shaking as I climb into bed behind her and wrap my arms around her waist. I feel her relax as I press my face against her clammy skin.

"Please. Stay with me." She begs. I sigh and stay quiet, tightening my grip around her.

"Thank you." she whispers and within minutes she is asleep again.

The water doesn't seem to get hot enough to relax my tense muscles no matter how high I turn it up. I am exhausted the lack of sleep I got last night and the frustration that comes from dealing with Max. She was asleep when I got into the shower and I pray she stays that way until I leave for my internship.

Unfortunately my prayers go unanswered and she is standing by the kitchen counter when I get out of the bathroom.

"You look beautiful today." She says calmly.

I roll my eyes and walk past her to grab a cup of coffee before I have to leave.

"So you aren't speaking to me then?" She questions.

"Not right now, no. I have to go to work and I don't have the energy to do this with you right now." I snap.

"But you.. you came to bed with me." She pouts.

"Yea, only because you were screaming and shaking. That doesn't mean you are forgiven. I need an explanation for everything, all secrets, all the fights, even the nightmares or I'm done." I surprise her and myself by saying.

"Charli.. it's not that simple." She groans and runs her hands over her hair.

"Yea, it is actually. I trusted you enough to give up my relationship with my mother and move in with you so soon, you should trust me enough to tell me what is going on."

"You won't understand. I know you won't." She says.

"Try me."

"I.. I can't." She stutters.

"Then I can't be with you. I'm sorry but I have given you a lot of chances and you keep.." I begin.

"Don't say that. Don't you dare try and leave me." Her tone is angry but her eyes are hurt.

"Then give me some answers. What is it that you think I wouldn't understand? About your nightmares?" I ask.

"Tell me you aren't going to leave me." She pleas.

Standing my ground with Max is proving to be much harder than I imagined, especially when she looks so broken.

"I have to go. I am already running late." I tell her and go to the room to get dressed as quickly as I can. Part of me is happy that she didn't follow me into the room but part of me wishes she did.