Chapter 6 - Rud Needs Rest

At the first hint of dawn, Rud was feeling tired. Worse, his mule had been pulling the cart all night and was exhausted. They needed to stop and rest.

He passed a stream with a small round top hill just beyond. It looked like the stream followed the base of the hill, so Rud drove the cart off the road and around the hill. On the opposite side of the hill was a secluded spot well out of view of anyone traveling by.

Rud stepped down, unhooked the mule, and put an extra helping of grain in the feed box. He brushed down the mule, hobbled its front legs, then left the mule so it could eat, drink, and rest.

The adrenaline rush from the fighting and escape had long since passed, and Rud's body ached from sitting on the driver's bench for so long. He needed sleep but knew he first had to deal with the young girl wrapped in his furs.

She had seen her father killed, her mother attacked, and after escaping her captors had been knocked out by a punch to the jaw from the very same man about to wake her up. Rud had no idea what to expect.

He was surprised she had not regained consciousness before now. Rud was glad they had made it this far without her waking and screaming. But only now did he realize how long it had been, and Rud was suddenly afraid he might have hit her too hard.

The boy was awake and stood up, still wrapped in Rud's old coat. He looked at Rud with a deep sadness in his eyes. Rud helped the boy from the cart then pointed to a large rock where the boy could sit. Breakfast would be flatbread and jerky as Rud would not start a cooking fire.

When offered, the boy slowly took a piece of bread and a couple of strips of jerky. Rud handed him a canteen filled yesterday at Rud's favorite stream. The boy said nothing, just nibbled on the food, and took several slow drinks from the canteen. Once the boy was settled, it was time for the main event.

* * * * *

As the cart left the road, Patience had been jarred awake, but she still did not move. The furs had kept her warm and comfortable, but being wrapped up all night was not to her liking. She was scared but determined to fight for her and her brother's life with everything she had.

Rud carefully picked up the fur wrapped girl and set her down on the grass. He slowly removed the furs hoping she was alright. As soon as the last fur was removed, Patience was ready and sprang up, knocking Rud backward. Patience picked up a good-sized stone and held her arms back, ready to pummel poor Rud.

When she saw her brother sitting peacefully with food in hand, she cried out, dropped the stone, and ran to her brother, wrapping him in her arms. Her glare at Rud would have melted iron in an instant. And there they sat, Rud on his backside, the boy wrapped in his sister's arms, and the girl glaring at Rud. Rud broke the silence with "Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be."

Another few minutes passed, Patience checked her brother over for injuries and looked at Rud. The questions started. "Who are you?"; "Where is my mother?"; "Where are we?"; "You need to take us home"; "You better answer me or my father...." Her eyes began to moisten at the mention of her father. She held her brother tighter as tears started rolling down her cheeks. She started anew with the questions, but Rud stayed silent as she slowly broke down and cried.

* * * * *

Rud knew what the girl and boy needed was assurance they would be be safe. He put more flatbread and jerky down next to Patience. Rud said, "My name is Rud, and I am a woodsman. I am not one of the men who attacked your family. I could not save your mother, but I was able to save you and the boy. I did not believe you would be safe if I had left you in the town. We are a day's ride from town heading to my home where you will be safe. You and the boy have nothing to fear from me."