Chapter 45 - The Hunt

Rud and James were anxious to leave for their hunt, and about midday, they were ready. Rud had already asked Billy if he would stay behind in case something came up on the homestead, and Billy had agreed.

Billy understood this was time for Rud and James to reconnect, and as he and Rud hunted together all the time, Billy didn't mind staying back with the ladies. As Rud and James headed out, everyone wished them a successful hunt.          

Rud and James would be gone three or four days. She didn't say it, but Patience hoped this time with James would help heal some of Rud's still open wounds from when his family was killed.

Rud still had trouble trusting people, a trait he acquired when the villagers abandoned him. James had already earned Rud's respect, but earning Rud's trust was something else.

James was more of a talker than Rud, and especially so as they rode out of the valley towards where Rud knew the Elk would be. James was a little nervous as he still remembered Rud standing over the body of the man who tried to steal Rud's mule. Rud would have to earn James' trust as well.

Rud and James made camp near where they would hunt, and after supper sat around the fire laughing about their childhood adventures and the trouble they had gotten into as young boys.

James woke a couple hours before dawn and kicked Rud's foot, saying, "Time to get up."  Rud rolled out of his blankets and put on his boots as James organized the gear they would need for the hunt. Rud and James quietly made their way to the location they had found the previous day.

Once there, they sat looking out over the area where they expected to see the Elk. After they had talked and laughed last night, Rud was feeling more comfortable with James but could tell James was still not comfortable around him.

Rud asked, "You seem nervous, are you afraid of me?" James said, "Yes, but it is more than that. I threw up after seeing what you did to the man who tried to steal your mule. The anger, hate, and betrayal in your eyes for the thief, and the rest of us that day still scare me."

James spoke again, "A couple of years after you left, we started hearing stories about a young boy, living in the wilderness that had gone mad and killed a lot of people. I knew when you left the village, you had gone to the valley your father had found. And I knew the boy in the stories was you. No one else made the connection, but they had not seen what I saw in your eyes after you killed the thief."

"Sarah said you killed nine men the day you rescued Patience and Billy. People say you have killed many more, maybe three times that number. The boy I grew up with, my friend, was not a killer, we did that to you. Nothing can ever make that right again. We were best friends, and I failed you. I thought after we killed those men at your cabin, the regret I felt would go away, but it hasn't. I am very sorry, Rud."

Rud said, "You were just a boy, it wasn't your fault." James replied, "So were you. That is what makes it so unforgivable." Rud realized what happened was not James' fault. Rud had never considered there were people in the village powerless to help. Rud had blamed them all.

James asked, "The stories about you, are they true?" Rud said, "I don't know what you've heard. I did not go mad, and I never ate anyone. But as to the rest, the truth is probably worse."

Rud continues, "As for you, I had only hate for those who promised everything then when needed gave nothing. A blood debt was owed, and I intended to someday collect on that debt. After rescuing Patience and Billy, I passed your village during the night and so much wanted to go to every door I had pounded on, including yours, Jimmy, and kill everyone inside. That is what hate and anger will do to a man, and you had good reason to be afraid of me."