Chapter 25 - A Good Day

Billy and Alice brought the wagon up then both jumped down. Alice asked if she could stay another day and have Billy take her back in the morning. Bessie said, "It is okay with me, but you need to ask Patience. She's the one who has to feed you. And don't think you are going to move in here either. We have that argument every time Billy leaves, and the answer is still no." 

Patience said, "She can stay the night if she helps in the food plot." Alice had a big smile on her face as she replied, "Okay." As Bessie climbed onto the driver's bench and picked up the reins Alice and Billy were already headed back down to the creek. Bessie smiled at Patience and said, "Yeah, good luck with that." Alice did help with weeding in the food plot and helped Patience with most of her daily chores. Billy did his work too without exception.

As usual, when they were not working, Billy and Alice were together. Rud gave them the afternoon off if they would catch some fish for dinner. Alice had never fished before, so off they went with a couple of cane poles, a shovel to dig grubs and worms, and a bucket for any fish they might catch. Patience asked Rud if they could have a fire by the lake and cook the fish over the fire. Rud thought it was a great idea. Rud still did not like eating fish, but the chance to sit on a blanket next to Patience was always a great idea.

Late afternoon, the "doves" were back with enough fish for everyone. Alice had caught the most and was proud to show off the ones she had caught. It was apparent she had enjoyed fishing. Billy did not like to be out-fished and said he could have caught more, but he constantly had to bait Alice's hook and dig for more worms. Patience asked Billy, "You didn't have a good time?" Billy smiled and said, "I had a great time. Alice gets excited when she catches a fish." Billy had already cleaned the fish, so Rud asked him to build a fire down by the lake.

Sitting around the fire after supper, Rud thought the day could not have been better for Alice and Billy. Billy asked if they could stay in the hideout tonight, but Rud said no, not this time. Rud was not going to try and keep them from sleeping next to each other after the conversation this morning with Bessie, but by themselves, all night in the hideout was something else. When it came time for bed, Alice climbed up on the top bunk with Billy. Billy spread his blanket over her, and they went to sleep without a word.

Rud slept relatively light, thinking something more might be going on with those two, but they never stirred. As Billy slept, his hand gripped the blanket up close to his neck. Rud noticed a smaller, more delicate hand wrapped on top of Billy's. It was like they were one person, and Rud envied the bond these two had formed. The next morning Billy's face was covered in long, light brown hair again. Billy took Alice home, and after Bessie got a few chores out of him, he was back in the valley by noon.

* * * * *

When you have lost everything and everyone, your greatest fears will always be losing everything and everyone again. Rud was always expecting some hardship to occur and take it all away. Rud never looked for trouble, but weeks later, trouble found them.

A couple of hours before dawn, Rud awoke, thinking he heard a shod horse moving fast over the rocky hill. A horse with iron shoes made a distinct sound on the flat rocks there, and the sound echoed through the valley.

Billy heard it too and looked down over the edge of his bunk at Rud. Both strained to hear anything to indicate someone was approaching. "BILLLEEEE!" could be heard off in the distance, it was Alice's voice. As Billy and Rud emerged from the cabin, they heard Alice in a crying voice again yell, "BILLLEEEE!"

When Alice rode up to them, she slid off the horses back and into Billy's arms. Billy asked what was wrong, and Alice said, "Father and my brother and three other men. They have Martha and Bessie at the house!" Alice broke down into a sobbing mess. Billy scooped the young girl up and took her inside, where Patience was waiting.

Rud told Billy to get the packs together, collect the rifles and pistols, then get everyone up to the hideout and stay there until he came back. Billy responded he was going too, but Rud said no, his place was here with Alice and his sister.

Rud went inside and finished dressing. His big knife and hatchet were on his belt, his sling looped around his neck, and three smaller knives tucked in pockets sewn for that purpose.

Rud checked to ensure his pistol was loaded and headed outside. He grabbed the mane of Alice's horse but stopped and turned to look at Patience, who had come out of the cabin and placed her hand softly on his back.

Patience said she knew he had to go but to promise he would come back to her. Rud hugged her and kissed her like it was the last kiss there would ever be. Patience said, "Go save our family." Rud swung his leg up and was on the horse's back. He looked down at Patience and said, "I promise." Rud kicked the horse with his heels and was gone.

* * * * *

As Patience followed Billy and Alice towards the hideout, she heard the iron shoes of Rud's horse pound across the rocky hill, moving fast. Patience stopped, her place was with Rud. He had grim work to do, but she could not live without him, wanted to be near him, help him if possible, and, if need be, to share the same fate.

Patience asked Billy to hitch the mule to the cart for her. Billy looked at Patience for a moment then started running towards the shed with Alice close behind. Patience loaded several rifles and pistols in the cart and went back for the horns filled with extra powder and shot.

Billy and Alice had the cart hitched to the mule in no time. Billy put his ax and anything else sharp he could use as a weapon in the cart. His sling was draped around his neck and his big knife, that he and Rud had made, was on his belt.

Patience reached up to climb onto the driver's bench, but Billy was already there. Patience said, "NO, you need to get Alice to the hideout," just as Alice stepped over Billy and took her place by his side.

Alice had the two small pistols Rud had taught her to shoot with and told Patience, "Where Billy goes, I go too." Realizing it was a losing battle, Patience jumped in behind them, and off they went. Patience had the rifles loaded and ready leaning against the side of the cart.