Chapter 40 - The Uncle's Men

Two winters had come and gone since the barn had been built. The homestead was prospering, and Billy still had plans to open a commercial sawmill someday. While he was saving as much money as he could, he had a long way to go to make his dream come true. In the meantime, the experience he gained operating his small two-person sawmill would undoubtedly be helpful when he did.

In Rud's eyes, Billy and his sawmill were already a success. Billy was able to make enough boards to meet their needs, plus he also made enough boards to barter with their neighbors for some of the things Rud would otherwise have to buy. Given the little amount of time spent sawing the boards versus what they were able to barter the boards for, Billy's small sawmill was saving them all a lot of work.

Still, everyone had been working hard, and an easy day was in order. They were also overdue for a visit with Bessie. Plans were made, and Billy and Alice left early in the morning in the cart, taking a deer Rud had killed the day before and some of Patience's early spring vegetables to Bessie.

Rud would feed the animals, then he and Patience would ride their horses over later. Bessie had invited Rud and Patience to stay overnight. Rud thought Patience might enjoy a night spent out of the valley and had surprised everyone by agreeing. Billy and Alice would return to the valley before nightfall to care for the animals. 

Everyone had a pleasant visit, and after eating an early supper, Billy and Alice were headed back from Bessie's when they came upon four men on horseback. Usually, Billy would tip his hat to those he passed, and that would be that. But one of the men pulled his horse in front of the mule, forcing Billy to stop. Billy stood up and told the man he had no business blocking their path. The leader of the group asked Billy what his name was. Billy responded, "Billy." The man said as in William? Billy said no one called him William.

The leader of the group asked the others how old the Billings boy was. One replied he thought William had to be fourteen or fifteen by now. The leader relaxed and said, "The boy we are looking for was just a small thing, this boy is much older." Billy would be sixteen later this year and had grown significantly since coming to the valley. He bore no resemblance in physical size or appearance to the young boy Rud had rescued in the town. Billy tried to stay calm, facing men he knew were there to kill him.

The leader said they were looking for a kidnapped boy and girl, William and Patience. The leader pointed at Alice and asked her name. Billy said her name was none of his business, but it wasn't Patience. Billy was getting angrier by the minute, so Alice put her hand on his arm to calm him. Alice had already quietly retrieved her two pistols from her bag and laid them in her lap, covering them with a fold of her skirt.

These were the same pistols she had used to shoot one of her father's men. They were small in size, fit her hands perfectly, and ever since her father had come, she never went anywhere without them. One of the men started towards the cart, and Alice quickly pointed a pistol at the man, and then cocked the hammer. The look in her eyes told him she would not hesitate to shoot, and from the look on his face, he believed her.

The leader said, "No call for that. We are getting paid to look for two kids and are just trying to do our job. Their uncle wants them back very badly. We heard they were seen in this area. If you happen to find out any information about them, we would appreciate you helping us out." The men turned and rode away with Alice following the one man with her pistol. One of his companions said, "That little Missy had you dead on Joe. I thought you were dead for sure." Joe, visibly shaken, replied, "I did too." They all laughed at Joe for letting a young girl get the drop on him.

* * * * *

Billy needed to tell Rud about the men but could not turn around now. They would need to go back in the same direction as the men were heading, and their sudden reversal would be suspicious. If they had been on horseback, Billy would have gone cross-country to get back to Bessie's house, but in the cart, it would be impossible. Plus, Billy did not want to put Alice in any more danger.

Alice kept an eye on the men disappearing down the road. Billy told Alice they would all stay in the hide for the next few days. As soon as they got to the cabin, he would drop her off and try to get to Rud and Patience before the men did. Alice said, "You know better, you are not going anywhere without me."

When Billy and Alice reached the cabin, they unhitched the cart and put up the mule. They quickly fed and watered the animals. Billy saddled a horse and climbed up into the saddle. Alice was right beside the horse with her hand up. Billy remembered his promise and said, "You are right, I do know better," and pulled Alice up behind him. Billy used his heels, and they were off to find Rud and Patience.

Rud and Patience were still sitting on Bessie's porch, enjoying the late afternoon breeze when Billy and Alice came from around the back of the house. Billy knew all the game trails in the area and had used them to get to Bessie's house. It was a rough ride, but it was faster than the road if you knew the way.

Billy, Alice, and the horse were dirty from all the narrow passages, mud, and creeks they had come through. Rud immediately stood seeing the direction they had come from and the condition of the horse and their clothes. Billy said, "My uncle's men confronted us on the road."

Billy eased Alice to the ground then dismounted. Neither looked panicked, so Rud relaxed a little. Billy and Alice gave Rud and Patience a quick rundown on the encounter. Then explained they had swapped the cart for a horse to come and warn them.  Hearing her uncle had sent men to find them had frightened Patience. The fight with Alice and Martha's brother had almost cost Rud his life, and Patience did not want to see him forced to fight again.

Patience quickly asked, "Did they recognize you? Did they ask where our valley was? Do they know we are here?" Billy relayed what the men had said about the two children having been seen in the area.

Rud took Patience's hand to calm her and told Billy and Alice to get cleaned up. Rud said he would put the horse away, and then they would come up with a plan. Patience nervously followed Rud while Bessie and Martha led Billy and Alice inside. Once in the barn, Rud held Patience for a while. Patience had a bad feeling about her uncle's men and was near tears.

She told Rud not to say, "It will be alright," as she had heard her father say those exact words to her mother the day they were killed. Rud said he could not say everything would be alright because he did not know what would happen, but they would be prepared and face whatever came together. Patience felt a sense of dread. She had lost her mother and father, and now had even more to lose. Rud was strong and brave, but he was not invincible.

Rud and Patience brushed down the horse and put it in an empty stall. By the time the horse and tack were taken care of, Ollie had arrived for his nightly visit. Alice had washed and put on another dress, and Billy was wearing some of the clothes he kept at Bessie's for when he came to pick up or drop off Alice.

They all sat in Bessie's main room while Billy and Alice, both sitting in the same chair, described in detail the encounter with the uncle's men. Rud laughed as Billy told them about the one rider's reaction to having Alice point her pistol at him. Rud would not want Alice pointing her pistol at him either!

Rud felt the safest place for them was in their valley. It would be difficult for them to be surprised as anyone entering the valley had to come over the rocky hill and would be heard. If they had time, they could go to the hideout, which was already prepared and provisioned, and they could stay there virtually unnoticed for an extended period.

If they were surprised both cabins were made of stone, it would be almost impossible to break into either cabin with defenders inside, and both cabins were provisioned with plenty of supplies. If it came to a fight, they were all proficient with firearms, including Alice. Everyone agreed their valley was the safest place. No one suggested Alice stay with Bessie, Alice would be where Billy was.