Chapter 55 - Patience Returns the Favor

Billy heard someone approach the cabin. He noticed he had not barred the door when they got home, it did not even look closed all the way. Billy figured no one would walk in regardless. He heard what sounded like dishes and some pots and pans being set on the cabin steps. It was too quiet to be Rud, so it must be Patience returning the favor from the morning after she and Rud were married.

Billy thought to himself, "She is a good sister." He could see her shadow getting lower on the slightly open door sill as she walked away. Billy wasn't hungry, at least for food. He could use Alice's lips on his right now but just laid there watching Alice rise and fall as he breathed. Billy closed his eyes.

A short time later, the door squeaked, and Billy awoke, thinking someone might be coming in. Alice was not on him anymore, and he saw her on her knees, retrieving the items Patience had left on the steps. Alice was still naked and was trying to collect the food with the least amount of her outside.

Seeing Alice reach out to collect the last pot, Billy said, "Oh MY" out loud. Alice stood up with the pots and dishes in her arms and looked at Billy, who just stared at her. "You are unimaginably beautiful, Alice," Billy said. Alice smiled and headed for the table, not embarrassed in the least. She liked Billy looking at her. They had waited a long time to be this intimate, and he could look at her all he wanted.

* * * * *

Alice inventoried the contents of what Patience had cooked for them, and it was a feast. There were scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits, honey, butter, potatoes, sausage, cheese, and plenty of it. Alice said, "I hope you are hungry because your sister cooked enough breakfast for ten people." Billy just stared at her with a content look on his face.

Alice walked over to the bed, slid under the blankets, and pressed up against Billy, who rolled over facing her. They kissed, and Billy pulled her even closer. As Billy leaned in for another kiss, Alice stuck a piece of bacon in his mouth and said, "You better eat, you are going to need your strength. Besides, I am starving!"

Alice slipped out of bed, went over to the table, and piled a plate high with food. She filled a mug with milk, and then slipped back in bed. Billy was already sitting up, so Alice placed the plate in his lap. They ate and kissed, just enjoying being next to each other. As they both reached their fill, Alice set the plate and mug aside and leaned against Billy, her face inches from his.

Both needed a few minutes for the food to settle, so Billy and Alice did what they always did, they talked to each other like best friends. They started talking about how the cabin felt like home now. But soon, Alice was playing her favorite game, "What does Billy like." She began with the usual questions; Billy, do you like the flowers on the table, do you like the way the sun shines in the window.

With a devilish smile, she asked him, "Billy, do you like it when I touch you here?" Billy decided his food had settled enough. He grabbed Alice, rolled her over him, then was on top of her as she giggled and squealed. Billy looked at Alice and said, "Yes, Billy really, really likes Alice." Alice tucked her head under his chin, put her arms around him, and in a soft voice, said, "Show me how much."

* * * * *

The next day Alice knocked on Patience's door with a big smile on her face. Alice walked in, carrying the pots and pans Patience had left on their doorstep the day before. Alice told Rud that Billy would meet him at the half-log bench. Alice's look made it clear what she meant was, "please go wait for him so I can talk with Patience." Rud grabbed a second cup and very, very slowly poured Billy a cup of coffee.

Rud took his time knowing Alice wanted desperately to talk with Patience. Rud stopped pouring, said, "Maybe a little more," then poured a drop or two more in the cup and repeated, "Maybe a little more." Patience realized what Rud was up to and said, "Okay, enough, Rud." As Rud very slowly walked out, Alice closed the door behind him, pushing Rud the final few steps outside.

Rud waited just outside the door until he heard Alice say, "Oh my goodness!" Rud smiled and walked down to the lake. Billy came out as Rud sat down on the half-log bench. When Billy sat too, Rud handed him the cup of coffee. Billy took a sip and said, "No sugar." Rud was waiting for the comment, looked at Billy and said straight-faced, "Don't you think you've had enough sugar the last two days?"

Rud couldn't hold it and started laughing. Billy laughed too and said, "No such thing as too much." Rud said, "Brother, you are right" and handed Billy a folded piece of paper containing sugar for his coffee. They sat for a while, just looking at their valley. Rud finally spoke, "Easy day?" Billy said, "Oh yes, easy day, thanks."

Alice suggested she and Billy go fishing. Later they could cook the fish over a fire, and everyone would sit on blankets as they looked at the stars. Patience thought it was a great idea. Mid-afternoon Alice and Billy came back with no fish. Billy had never come home without any fish before, and Patience noticed Alice's hair was wet.

Patience smiled and said, "Strange, you always catch fish." Billy said the fish weren't biting as he and Alice headed back to their cabin, smiling very suspiciously at each other. Rud had his hand over his mouth to keep from laughing.

Rud looked at Patience and said, "Hey, you and I have not caught fish in the deep pool many times." Patience, with a bit of a twinkle in her eye, said, "I remember. Do you think we can get them to watch the boys for a while? I feel like not catching any fish myself."

Rud loved going swimming with Patience, and since they were married had spent many afternoons with each other in the deep pool. Rud smiled at Patience and said, "I doubt we will see them the rest of the day. But I think the boys are still sleeping!"