Chapter 46 - James and Sarah

Once inside the cabin, Sarah asked Patience, "Does Rud know?" Patience, with her mind still on her husband's hunting trip, asked, "Know what?" Sarah smiled and asked, "When is your baby due?"

Patience was stunned. She had suspected she might be pregnant but was unsure. She had been sick a few times in the last couple weeks and had told Rud she just had an upset stomach. They would be going to Charlotte's in the morning, and Patience had planned to talk about it with Miss Betty.

Sarah said she had been around enough pregnant women to know "the look" when she saw it, and since she was pregnant too, it was easy for her to spot another pregnant woman. Patience told Sarah she had not been sure herself and had not said anything to Rud. Patience asked if James knew. Sarah said he did, and he was hoping for a son.

As they sat and talked, Patience could not help but smile now sure a child was growing inside her. The two women talked until early in the morning, Patience had lots of questions, and Sarah had many of the answers. They figured that Patience was in her second month while Sarah was in her third.

Patience was very happy. But she was also a little afraid. Being pregnant and having a baby was going to be a whole new experience for her, and it was a little scary. It was times like these when Patience so very much missed being able to talk with her mother.

* * * * *

Patience woke when Alice came into the cabin. Alice expected Patience to have breakfast ready as they had a busy day planned. Sarah, who was sleeping in the bottom bunk, sat up, rubbing her eyes.

Seeing them both still in bed, Alice threw her hands up. Alice added several more pieces of wood to the fireplace to warm the cabin and then went to get the fire in the stove going so she could cook breakfast.

Alice was fussing at the two women for sleeping in late as they had to leave for Charlotte's in a little while. Patience could not keep herself from smiling, which caused Sarah to smile as well. Sarah told Patience that she might as well tell her now as Alice is going to know something is up.

Alice, still annoyed, looked at Patience, and said, "What?" Patience said, "Sarah is pregnant." Alice shrugged her shoulders and said, "So?" Sarah said, "And so is Patience," which caused both women to burst out laughing. Alice stood there, not reacting.

Patience said, "Alice, did you hear what Sarah said. I am pregnant." Alice said, "Yeah, twin boys, I know. What do you want for breakfast?" Patience's mouth dropped open.

* * * * *

Two days later, the hunting had gone better than expected, with both men killing an Elk. Rud and James were enjoying the hunt and each other's company. They would have liked to stay out longer, but they needed to process the animals before the meat spoiled.

A day earlier than expected, Patience and Sarah heard two horses and the mule cross the rocky hill and had started down the trail to greet their husbands. Billy headed over to the skinning shed to get a fire going in the fireplace and make sure the skinning blades were sharp.

Rud and James dismounted and walked back to the cabin holding their wives' hands. Sarah and Patience hoped to see something different in their men but didn't, and nervously looked at each other. Rud and James seemed no different than when they had left.

Rud, Billy, and James skinned the Elk and cut the meat while Patience, Alice, and Sarah packaged what James and Sarah would take home, and then preserved what was left.

Patience made sure she left enough of the best cuts out for everyone to have for supper. James did not want the hides, so Rud fleshed and stretched the hides to dry. There was still not much of a market for Elk hides, but Rud could always use them for knife sheaths and other trade goods.