Chapter 17 - Margaret's Pots and Pans

Patience came outside to check on Rud and to ask when they would have to head back. Rud told her when she was ready, but they needed to be on the road before dark. Rud suggested she could stay the night if she was asked, and he would come to get her tomorrow. Patience smiled, then said, "No, I have my own home to take care of and without me you two would be lost!" Patience turned and went back inside.

Just before the time they needed to leave, Patience came out and called for Billy to come inside. A short time later, Billy, followed by both granddaughters, walked out of the house with as many pots and pans as they could carry. Billy was carrying a couple of cast iron frying pans and a cast-iron Dutch oven all going into the cart.

Bessie saw Rud standing under the shade tree with a confused look on his face. Bessie walked towards Rud, and as she walked, she pointed her finger and started in on him, "You are a terrible liar. I know what you did to save those two, why you did it, and why you needed to keep it secret. But you lie to me again and I am going to tell your woman. The only truthful thing you told me was Patience is your woman, and there is no doubt about that." Bessie hugged him, swatted him on the butt, turned, and walked back towards the house.

More stuff came out of the house and into the cart. Patience finally came out arm in arm with Bessie, each had a roll of what looked like cotton fabric under their arms. The two granddaughters were carrying what looked like a sewing kit and a few other well-worn items Rud did not recognize.

Billy was in the back of the cart, taking the articles from the granddaughters and stowing it all the best he could. All the girls hugged Patience and promised to visit soon. Rud thought to himself all the effort he put into being invisible, and they would be undone in one visit with an older woman. Rud liked Bessie, and he loved seeing Patience happy, but he was very concerned.

When it was time to leave, Patience climbed up on the driver's bench next to Rud. Bessie must have seen the worry on Rud's face and told him, "Don't you worry, Rud. We have as much to lose if people found out about my granddaughters as you, Patience, and young Billy. We are not alone anymore, and I am grateful." Patience leaned in and kissed Rud. She told him, "Thank you for this."

Bessie said, "Now remember, all those things came from my sister Margaret when she passed. These girls already have enough to fill their household when they get one, and Margaret would be proud to know you have her kitchen wares. Now you know her story, so she lives on. And by the way, Rud, I was sixteen when I married my husband, and I still miss him every day. So when you are ready, don't let anything get in your way. And bring young Billy with you when you come by."

Rud pulled the reins to steer the mule back on the road towards home. Bessie and the older girl went inside, but Alice had reached her hand up to Billy. Billy held her hand until the cart moving pulled their hands apart. Alice ran to the porch and was still waving as they headed down the road back to the valley. Billy waved back then looked at Patience, who was watching him over her shoulder. Patience was smiling at Billy, not a "big sister caught you" smile; it was a "happy for you" smile. Patience turned around, and Billy waved one more time.

A few minutes down the road, Patience asked Rud if he was mad. Rud said, "No, I am afraid." Patience said they could trust them. Rud told Patience it was time he told her why he had been alone for seven years. As they rode back, Rud told her about his family, the night the rough men had come, and how he had survived in the valley those seven years. He did not tell her all of it, though.

* * * * *

It was well after dark when they got back to the cabin. Patience had her arm under Rud's arm and was holding onto him tightly. Patience remembered Rud telling her he had lost his family just like she and Billy had, and she was sorry she had never asked him about it. She had been so caught up in what happened to her, she never thought to ask about his family. He seemed so strong and confident, and she felt so broken. She could not imagine going through what had happened to her without Rud.

Patience understood now why he had been so cautious, and it took so long to trust her. Patience said it was good to talk about it and get it out, but Rud didn't feel good at all. Talking about it only brought up all the pain, fear, and hurt Rud had tried so hard to bury. They left most of the items the moist night air wouldn't damage in the cart. Once everything else was inside, Rud walked down to the lake to sit and think.

Billy went to bed, and Patience got ready for bed. Rud tended to retreat into himself when he was unhappy. She had seen it after he came back from the town, but she was not going to let him push away from her this time. Patience put a coat on over her nightgown and walked down to the lake. She grabbed Rud's hand, said it is time for bed, and pulled with all her might. Rud stood up, and she led him back to the cabin.

Once inside, she sat on the bed and brushed her hair while trying to gauge Rud's mood. Rud did his usual; coat, knife, hatchet, sling, top shirt, then kicked off his boots. He lay down on the tattered old rug facing the fire without saying anything. Patience put down her hairbrush, picked up a blanket, and spread it out over Rud. Then she slipped under the blanket, pulled her hair out of the way, and snuggled close to Rud, her arm around him, hand resting on his chest. She could feel his heartbeat and felt the warmth coming from her big man. He pushed back into her and said, "I love you." Patience reached up, kissed his neck, and they both drifted off to sleep.

Rud woke first. Both had rolled over during the night, and Patience was now in front of him, curled up with her back to his chest. His head was just above hers, and his arms were around her. Just above his arms, he could feel the bottom of her breasts through her nightgown.

Rud didn't dare move. He had never been this close to a woman before, and his body was reacting in ways he was afraid would be all too obvious all too quickly. Rud backed away, but Patience just pushed back into him. She was awake now and loved the feeling of being in Rud's arms.

Although she had no experience in these matters, she knew what was putting pressure on her lower back and why. Rud was not the only one whose body was reacting to being close. She had no intention of taking this any further, but he was definitely her man. She rolled over, allowing him to move away just enough.

She loved the look on his face, full of want and desire but unsure what to do. Innocence was not a word one would typically use to describe Rud, but there it was in his face. She kissed him as tenderly as she could and marveled at the man looking back at her. After a few minutes, she flipped the blanket off herself and stood up. She put her robe on and went to light a fire in the stove.

She had not cooked the day before, so it took a few minutes to get the fire in the stove going. Rud got up, folded the blanket, and walked outside like he usually did. When it was ready, Patience brought a cup of coffee out to him. Coffee was a treat at the cabin as they had very little. Today had certainly started special, so to Patience, it seemed like a good day to use some of the coffee.

When she handed Rud the cup, she took his other hand and asked him the same question she had while in the back of the cart the day he brought her to her new home. Patience asked, "Rud?" Rud responded, "Yes, Patience." Patience asked, "Are we okay?" Rud with a smile, said, "Yes, Patience, right now we are okay."