Chapter 50 - The Business Trip

The fancier restaurant was something. The table cloths were bright white, the silverware was highly polished, and the waiters were dressed in tuxedos. They held Alice's chair for her, and after Alice and Billy were seated, they brought out chilled water in nice glasses. The staff referred to Alice as Mademoiselle and Billy as Monsieur. Neither Alice nor Billy knew what those words meant but smiled and teased each other with their new labels.

Alice saw another woman eating fish and decided that was what she wanted. Billy ordered a steak knowing regardless of how fancy the table, a steak was still a steak. The waiter seemed to understand this was all new to them and assisted with their selections in a way that did not make Billy or Alice feel bad for not knowing. Billy very much appreciated the waiter's manner.

The waiter brought Billy a sample of the house wine, but never having had wine or any alcohol in his life, Billy did not like the taste. Alice looked like she would like to try it, so Billy asked the waiter to bring them both a glass. Billy smiled as Alice's face crinkled up when she took a small sip of the wine.

Alice did not like the taste either, but since everyone else in the restaurant seemed to be enjoying the wine, Billy and Alice made a game of pretending to drink while mimicking the actions of the other patrons. With a big smile on her face, Alice whispered to Billy, "I wonder if anyone likes this stuff, or they are all pretending like we are."

Their food came out in courses, and it was wonderful. Billy's steak was the best he had ever had. The fish Alice had ordered was delicious and cooked to perfection. And it was not just the main course that made the meal so memorable, it was the fantastic spices, sauces, and other dishes that came with the meal. It was unlike anything they ever had before.

Both Monsieur Billy and Mademoiselle Alice, as they started calling themselves, commented on how they felt like adults. Once they had finished, Billy paid the bill, which at first he thought was an outrageous sum for just two people. But, the way he and Alice had enjoyed themselves, Billy knew it had been worth every penny.

Billy tipped the waiters generously, especially the waiter whose manner he had very much appreciated. Billy had learned this from his father. Just because people serve you, they should not be taken for granted, and excellent service should always be rewarded. Alice leaned against Billy as they walked back towards their hotel.

Alice was happy. She was happy with all the new experiences and was delighted Billy had needed her to come on this trip. They passed their hotel and continued walking just like the other couples out for a stroll. By the time Billy and Alice made it back to the hotel, a different clerk was on duty. Billy and Alice walked hand-in-hand past the front desk. The clerk looked up, greeted them, and then looked down at his receipts.

Up in their room, there was no partition to dress behind, so Billy stepped out in the hall while Alice changed. When he came back in and started undressing, Alice was lying in bed looking at him with a look on her face Billy had not seen before. Alice was tired of rules and not crossing lines. She wanted more than to sleep next to Billy. She had a great day today and felt happy and loved, she was ready for more. Billy turned the lamp down and told Alice not to look as he changed.

Billy turned away as he removed his shirt, slipped on his nightshirt then stepped out of his pants. When he turned around, Alice was still facing him with her hand halfway covering her eyes. Billy got into bed, and Alice took her usual spot lying on his left side. She put her hand on his right cheek and pulled his face down to her. They kissed tenderly, then Alice laid her head on his chest, looking up at him. Billy could see the longing in Alice's beautiful blue eyes, he felt it as well. 

Alice said, "I love you," as she looked at him. Billy sensed there was more meaning in her words than just "I love you." Alice picked up Billy's right hand and placed it on her stomach. Billy was unsure about what he should do. He wanted Alice desperately but did not want to risk losing having her sleep next to him, so he did nothing. After a while, Alice sighed, shifted slightly to a more comfortable spot then drifted off to sleep. Sleep came much slower to Billy as his mind was tormented with what he should have done.

* * * * *

The next morning Billy and Alice got up, dressed, and had breakfast. Neither one said anything about last night. They met the lawyer at the sawmill manufacturer. They looked at the display models and saw several in action before deciding. Billy had already looked through the technical information and had written other sawmills for advice, so he had a good idea which model he wanted.

The lawyer, who had arrived by train that morning, assisted Billy and interceded when the salesman tried taking advantage of Billy's youth and inexperience. Billy made his decision then looked at Alice, who nodded her approval. Alice had no idea which model was best but could tell when Billy thought he had made the right choice. With the lawyer acting as his agent, Billy wrapped up the sawmill purchase and headed towards the steam engine supplier.

The steam engines were an easier decision. With the sawmill options Billy had selected, he would need four different steam engines: One central boiler and one large steam engine that would power the saw and carriage, and the three smaller engines that would power the feeder belts and planer/finishing mill.

He had the horsepower ratings and knew which models would meet the requirements. Again with the lawyer acting as his agent, they wrapped up the purchase in short order. The final stop was with a freighter who would deliver the mill and steam engines to the property Billy had purchased.

Their business complete, Billy thanked the lawyer who said, "Young man you are very welcome, I hope we can do business in the future. You will get my bill." As the lawyer turned to leave, he added, "You should thank Charlotte Beasley too. She gave me little choice in this endeavor." Billy said, "I know Charlotte, and she rarely does." The lawyer, who had been all business both days, chuckled, tipped his hat to Alice, and turned for the train station.

Billy was extremely pleased with himself and the way this trip had turned out. But last night was still on his mind. As they walked into the hotel to pick up their bags, Billy grabbed Alice's arm and asked, "Would you like to stay one more night?" Alice smiled and shook her head, "yes." One more night of pretending to be an adult was alright with her.

They found a different restaurant that evening. It was not fancy, more like a family restaurant. Billy was wearing his suit, and Alice was wearing a nice dress. They were overdressed for the venue, but the rather large, plainly dressed woman who ran the restaurant looked at them, smiled, and said, "Hello, love birds." Alice whispered to Billy, "This is the place."

Unlike the night before they did not get menus, the table had no table cloth, but the floor was swept, and the tables were wiped clean. The cups, glasses, and dishes were clean and shined from constant use. The woman asked them what they wanted to eat. Billy looked at Alice, then back at the lady and said, "What do you have?" The lady yelled back to the kitchen, "Love birds beef stew and biscuits for this young couple."

Billy reached his hand under the table and grabbed Alice's hand. The previous night had been very fancy - fancy place, tables, waiters, and food. Tonight was fun, and both Billy and Alice enjoyed their meal and the antics of the woman in charge.

Back at the hotel, Alice did not wait for Billy to leave the room or even turn down the lamp. She slipped her dress off in front of him. Billy quickly turned away. Alice brushed against his back as she removed her remaining clothing. Her hand was on his shoulder as she steadied herself while removing her stockings.

It was not difficult for Billy to imagine what article of clothing was being removed from the motions she was making while pressed against him. When she put on her nightgown and got into bed, he turned, and she had the same look on her face as last night.