Chapter 48 - Martha Finds Her Happiness

After the babies were asleep and Patience had gone to bed, Rud looked out and could see Alice and Billy heading back to their cabin. Martha and Ollie stayed by the lake. Martha came back into the cabin very early in the morning. Rud heard her come in but did not say anything. Ollie had walked her to the door, and Rud heard her tell Ollie goodnight. It sounded like a goodnight kiss was included.

Martha was a grown woman, and what she and Ollie did was none of Rud's business. Martha sounded happy, and given what she had endured in her past, anything that made her happy was okay with Rud. Martha only had a few hours' sleep at the most before the twins woke and demanded attention.

The next morning when Rud got up, he looked out and saw Ollie sleeping on the blankets by the lake. After breakfast, Billy and Rud were sitting on the half-log bench drinking coffee and tossing small sticks and pebbles on Ollie as he slept.

Once Ollie was awake, Rud and Billy made fun of him until Ollie finally said, "Go ahead, have your fun. It was worth it." Rud asked, "So what were you two doing until the wee hours of the morning?" Ollie said they talked and fell asleep on the blanket. Both Rud and Billy responded, "Suuurrrrrre."

Martha came out of the cabin, brought Ollie some breakfast and a cup of coffee. Martha knew what was going on and told Rud and Billy not to pick on poor Ollie. Billy said, "Too late." Alice came out of her cabin, and she and Martha walked back to help Patience with the twins. Rud said, "Okay, Ollie, don't tell us. Patience and Alice will get the truth out of Martha, and they will tell us." Ollie just smiled and said, "Worth it."

Martha met Ollie's parents last fall when they came to visit. Ollie had written them about Martha several times, but it was Charlotte who told her son, Ollie's father, they had better get down to visit and meet who Charlotte described as their soon to be daughter-in-law.

Charlotte loved Martha like a daughter, and when Martha met Ollie's parents, they fell in love with her too. Ollie's mother came right out and suggested that June would be a wonderful time of the year for a wedding. Martha smiled at Ollie and said they would keep that in mind.

Weeks later, Charlotte could not wait any longer and had finally cornered Ollie wanting to know when he was going to ask Martha to marry him. Rud was not sure what Charlotte liked more, weddings or getting in someone's business about getting married, but she would get both when it came to Ollie.

Rud had been right about Ollie's resolve, he could face down sure death without blinking, but when it came to Martha, she scared him to death. Martha and Ollie took their usual Saturday buggy ride, and at their favorite spot where two oak trees shaded a cliff, a nervous Ollie proposed. Martha said yes, and they spent the rest of the day telling everyone their news. Alice said, "Told you, Martha Beasley!" Charlotte and Bessie started planning a June wedding.

Martha had already picked out a design for her wedding dress to be made with the fabric left from what Charlotte bought for Patience's dress. Charlotte had offered to send Martha to a dressmaker in a nearby village, but Martha had already decided her sisters (Martha considered Patience her sister too), and Bessie would make the dress.

The ladies started making the dress right away. Bessie laid out the pattern as Patience and Alice cut out the pieces that would eventually make up the dress. Patience especially enjoyed their sewing sessions. Sitting and talking with Alice and Martha while they sewed was great fun. Bessie let the young women do the sewing as it meant she had the twins all to herself.

Martha was much more subdued about being engaged than Patience had been. Where Patience had been over the moon happy, Martha would sit and smile with a content look on her face. She was more than happy; Martha was elated at the prospect of marrying Ollie. But Martha was relieved too. She had gone from no hope of happiness to having a man who loved her.

Ollie, for the first time in many years, made her feel safe. He had saved her from her father and the fate her father would have forced upon her. After what she had been through, feeling safe with someone meant a great deal to Martha. There was a lot there in the content look. Happiness just showed differently in Martha.

* * * * *

Bessie had come to a decision and told Alice she wanted to give all her property to Ollie and Martha as a wedding gift so that when she passed, they would have a home. She hoped Ollie could once again make the property into a thriving farm. Alice just said, "Okay."

Bessie told Alice she had originally intended to split her estate between her and Martha, but Ollie would need all the land to be successful. Alice again said, "Okay." Bessie asked Alice if she was upset, and Alice said, "No, I am not upset. I think it is a great idea." Alice added, "I have Billy, and along with Rud and Patience, we have our valley. We already have everything we need. Martha and Ollie don't."

* * * * *

Martha wanted an outdoor wedding, and Charlotte had the perfect area behind her house right next to her flower garden. It even had a wooden trellis-style arch under which they could be married.

Martha had several uncles, aunts, and cousins she had not seen in years and was looking forward to reconnecting with them all. Ollie had a large extended family. There would be about seventy-five guests, including family and friends, and Charlotte was having a wonderful time organizing the event and arranging for places for family members to stay.

Whatever Martha wanted in her wedding Charlotte would make it happen. Since Charlotte only had sons, she was making the most of being the stand-in "mother of the bride."

Ollie jokingly reminded Charlotte she was his actual grandmother, but Charlotte just dismissed his comments. Charlotte stated, "All you needed to do from the groom's side was make sure he showed up, was dressed, and had the ring. Anyone can do that."

The day came, and Martha looked beautiful in her dress. There was a bright clear blue sky that stretched from horizon to horizon. Rud commented no cloud would dare spoil Charlotte's carefully planned event! The ceremony was very traditional, and to the disappointment of the judge, there was no extra kissing. It was perfect.

* * * * *

The wedding was in the morning, so Ollie and Martha would have time to travel to their honeymoon destination. By mid-day, when they needed to leave, Martha looked happier and more at ease than anyone had ever seen her. Gone were the sadness and doubt, Martha had her own love story now, and she was happy.

Once they had changed into their traveling clothes, Ollie and Martha left in a carriage for their honeymoon in one of the cities. Charlotte was very emotional as the carriage disappeared down the road. The party continued, but Charlotte sat on her porch and cried. Bessie went to console her but ended up sitting with her crying as well. Everyone just let them be.

Martha and Ollie returned from their honeymoon different than they had left. As Martha's husband and responsible for running Bessie's farm Ollie was confident, knowledgeable, and showed great leadership. Martha would never speak of her father or brother again. Martha finally felt she, not her past, was in control of her life. Together Bessie's farm would flourish under their care. 

Martha became pregnant soon after she and Ollie were married. Martha delivered a daughter, and Miss Betty placed her in Ollie's arms. They named their baby girl Charlotte Elizabeth Beasley. Elizabeth was Bessie's middle name.

Now that she had a great-granddaughter named after her, Charlotte was beside herself. Her workers, accustomed to having Charlotte watch over them, were surprised when Charlotte headed down to Bessie's house to see baby Charlotte instead of driving her wagon out into the fields each morning.

Both Charlotte and Bessie claimed to spoil the baby girl as a birthright and often tried to outdo each other. When Ollie protested, he was pretty much ignored, but when Martha put her foot down, both Charlotte and Bessie would take it back a notch or two, at least until Martha wasn't looking.