Chapter 32 - Charlotte Knows Everything

Patience was sitting on the bed next to Rud and could not help kissing him every few minutes. She was the center of attention. It reminded her of her birthday parties back in town. Patience thought again and decided this was nothing like those silly parties. Her life now was real, and she could not be happier with her soon to be husband beside her. A beautiful home, wonderful friends, and someone to love her had always been her wish before blowing out her birthday candles.

The cabin may not be the beautiful home she had in mind, but it was her home, and she loved every stick and stone. Her friends were regular imperfect people, just like she was. They were true friends, and she loved them all dearly. Rud may not be the dashing prince in her little girl fantasy, but she loved him more than life. It was not her birthday, but from where she was sitting now, all of her birthday wishes had just come true.

Patience leaned down to kiss Rud and quietly he asked her, "What about your life and all the fine things you had before. Will you be happy just being a woodsman's wife? What if you miss those fine things?" From the start, Rud had feared his simple life would not be enough for a girl who grew up with so much, and eventually, she would want her old life back.

Patience looked at him and said, "Just a woodsman's wife? Rud, that is silly, what I have now, you, our home, and our valley is finer than any of the things I left behind. When I thought you would be taking us to my uncle, I told you I would come back to you. I knew if I went to stay with my uncle, I would have the things I had before. But I chose a life with you then, and I choose a life with you now. I will always choose you. You are my life."

She kissed his lips, squeezed his hand, smiled, and turned back to the conversation. Rud, satisfied, drifted off into a peaceful sleep. The move and the proposal had taken a lot out of the woodsman.

* * * * *

A few days later, Charlotte and Bessie had the wedding plans well underway. Both were in Rud's room at Bessie's, going over the plans. Martha, Ollie, Billy, and Alice were there as well since they would all have a role. Martha and Alice would be bridesmaids. After giving Patience away, Billy would take his place as the best man. Ollie would be the other groomsman.

Charlotte and Bessie would substitute as mothers of the bride and groom. The women and men who worked for Charlotte, plus some of Charlotte and Bessie's friends from the neighboring farms, would be invited as guests. Weddings were a big deal in the wilderness, and this one would undoubtedly draw a crowd.

Charlotte had contacted a judge she knew to perform the ceremony as in the wilderness, preachers are rare. Charlotte said, "It will be Patience Ann Billings marrying Rudolph Clark Morrow with William Logan Billings Jr. giving the bride away." Rud and Billy looked at Charlotte. Rud asked, "How do you know my name?" Billy said, "Yes, same question?"

Charlotte said, "I make it my business to know things. Rud, you and I met about ten years ago, but I don't think you would remember. I am the one who told your father about the valley you call home now. You two stopped by asking about places to hunt and trap, and I told your father about the valley. You were so tired sitting on the driver's bench of that wagon. You could barely keep your eyes open. Your father seemed like a fine man, and he was so proud of you. You were quite a handsome young fellow back then," she said with a smile.

Rud said, "I am sorry, but I don't remember." Charlotte said, "When a young boy started living in that valley and trying to make a life there, I thought I recognized you. When I heard what happened to your family, I knew it was you." Her smile went away. "I was concerned when you started killing. Especially after the Tavern mess, I was afraid that handsome little boy had turned bad."

Charlotte continued, "But then I realized you had no choice. Mad Hermit my foot, you were just a scared little boy becoming a man and trying to survive. Even the other times you killed, it seemed justified to me. Still, once you start down that path, most never get off it." Rud nodded.