Chapter 9 - Bread Starter

Over the next week, Rud and the boy built a goat pen from saplings, plowed enough ground for the food plot, dug a trench to bring water from the creek to the food plot, and scouted a location for the hideout. Rud had killed a deer, and much to his surprise, Patience insisted on being shown how to skin, then cut up the deer for meat – some to eat right away, most they would preserve, then they would jerk the remaining.

Patience knew how to prepare and preserve some foods, but there was a much wider variety of meats than the beef, fowl, and pork delivered to her father's home. Here they would preserve most of the meat by making jerky, smoking it in the smokehouse, or storing it in clay pots either in brine or salt, depending on the animal and cut of meat.

Patience initially looked to Rud for guidance on preparing, cooking, and preserving the variety of meats. Patience listened and learned and soon made all the decisions as to what to cook now and how they would preserve the remainder. Rud was more than happy to have her take on these tasks, especially once he realized Patience was much better at planning than he was.

Patience was becoming more confident, and as her confidence grew, she found Rud and her brother willing to take her direction and listen to her ideas. She was finding her place among the three of them here in the valley.

* * * * *

Early one morning, Rud hitched the mule to the cart. He told Patience he needed to salvage some boards from one of the abandoned homesteads. It was common practice, and Rud knew a few abandoned homesteads about a half-day ride not stripped of all the good wood. He expected to be back about sunset.

The boy climbed up on the cart, but Rud would not let him go. Rud would have liked to have the boy come along but was concerned someone might get suspicious of a boy suddenly accompanying the woodsman or, worse, recognize the boy from town. Rud also did not want to leave Patience by herself.

Rud flipped the reins to get the mule moving and detected a bit of concern in Patience's voice as she asked him to be careful. Rud headed off and occasionally looked over his shoulder to see if Patience was still watching from the cabin door. Just as he reached the point where he would no longer be able to see the cabin, he looked back, and she was still there. Rud could not help himself and stood and waved to her. Patience quickly returned his wave just as the cabin dropped out of sight.

Rud had kept his distance since the first morning, which was difficult as a one-room cabin does not afford much privacy. When he plowed the food plot with his father's old plow, Rud noticed Patience would often stop what she was doing for a moment and look at him. Rud wondered if Patience liked him. Rud knew he had come to like Patience but had to continually remind himself she was from the town and could not be trusted. He had depended on only himself for so long, and to rely on someone else seemed impossible.

There was an internal battle raging within Rud. He wanted to get closer but did not dare. Was it fear? Yes, Rud was filled with fear. Fear of being found and killed. Fear someone would come looking for Patience and the boy, and he had to admit he was afraid of having feelings for this young woman. Rud had so much hurt inside him that letting himself have feelings for Patience only for her to leave seemed like more hurt than he could survive.

Rud pulled enough good boards from an abandoned homestead to build a chicken coop and as many extra boards as he thought the mule could handle. Once loaded, he pulled more boards off and stacked them neatly out of the weather for next time. More important than the extra boards, he needed the nails they were held on with.

Nails were a valuable commodity. His father had made nails in his blacksmith shop, and Rud had as well. Making nails required a lot of effort and resources, so any he could find was a real time saver. While he was at it, Rud also picked up any discarded metal he found for making knives and other trade goods.

Rud started back and, as usual, took a different trail than he had come on. He passed a farm with an older woman sitting on the farmhouse porch. He stopped at a respectful distance and asked the older woman if he could approach. She stood and waved him forward.

Rud explained his woman's bread starter had burned in a cabin fire, and if she had extra, he would be grateful if she would sell him some or trade for some of the boards he had. The woman did not need the boards but could spare some starter for money. A deal was struck, and the woman handed Rud a small ball of sourdough starter wrapped in damp cheesecloth.

She said to tell his woman to keep it moist and hang it by the cabin door, so she could grab it on the way out in case of fire. The older woman told him the sourdough starter had been her sister Margaret's before she died and, like hers, had originated from their mother's starter. Rud thanked the older woman, got back on his cart, and headed home.

By the time Rud made it back to the cabin, it was well after dark. He was concerned when he did not see any light from the cabin or smoke from the chimney. Patience and the boy came outside when they heard the cart approach. He asked why the lamp was out, and Patience explained they knew he could find his cabin in the dark and did not want to attract any undue attention.

Rud was pleased, they seemed to understand the situation, and as he sat down for supper, he complimented Patience on her smart thinking. He told the boy to get the starter wrapped in cheesecloth from the box in the cart. Patience's eyes lit up as though she'd been given diamonds. Rud's guard came down enough for him to smile at her excitement. Her questions on how and where, plus his recount of the starters' history, would have to wait until he finished his meal.

Rud had to admit Patience was doing a good job. He would occasionally catch her looking at herself in the still waters of the lake. She would sway back and forth with her dress held out like she was dancing. Rud knew it was just a matter of time before she would want her old life back. Rud did not want to think about her leaving. He was losing the battle not to have feelings for her.

A few more trips out of the valley, and Rud had traded some of the boards for one billy goat and two milk-producing nannies. He exchanged the nails he had collected for six egg-producing hens and one rooster Rud already disliked.

Rud asked the boy if he would be responsible for milking the goats and collecting the eggs. The boy quickly nodded his head. The boy seemed excited about the task, so Rud showed him how to milk and take care of the goats. The goats pushed the boy around at first, but he soon learned to keep them in their place. The boy already fed the mule each day, so he started feeding the goats and chickens without being asked.

Rud took the boy hunting, and although the boy made mistakes from time to time, he learned quickly and tried his best. The boy was learning to track the animals they hunted, and Rud let him take the lead when there were clear tracks to follow.

Rud made the boy a sling, much like the one his father had made him. Not as long and therefore not as powerful as Rud's, but adequate for birds, squirrels, and rabbits. Rud also made the boy a bow he could use to hunt deer and turkey. Rud had learned all these things from his father then honed his skills over the past seven years. He was enjoying passing the knowledge on to the boy.

The boy was brave too. Rud and the boy had traveled through the mountains to where Rud had seen an Elk herd the previous year. Rud had a rifle, and the boy was carrying a pike when they were both surprised by a medium-sized bear.

The bear had no interest in Rud or the boy and turned and walked away, but the boy had not panicked or tried to run. The boy had turned, and with the pike pointed at the bear, stood his ground. Rud did not think this was something you could teach, you were born with courage, or you were not.