12

Janae Iyana Taylor

My eyes fluttered open slowly. The sun was shining directly in my face.

What time is it?

I tried to sit up but as soon as I lifted my head, I felt a sharp pain on the left side of my head. Like someone was hammering a nail in my head. I raised my hand and put it over the spot. I ran my index finger over what felt like stitches.

What the hell?

I looked to the right of me and my mama laid on the couch. Sleeping. I wanted her attention so I tapped the side of the bed on the rails.
She opened her eyes and then sat up. When she saw me, she came over to me quickly.

"Hey. How you feel Nae?" She rubbed her thumb over my cheek.

My throat felt like shit so I just raised my hand and put up a thumbs down. She laughed a little and sat on the edge of the bed.

"So, wanna tell me what caused you to pass out? And hit ya head?" She touched the stitches lightly and I winced.

I shook my head saying no. I really didn't wanna talk about-

Cortez.

"Where..." My voice came out a little raspy. I cleared my throat and swallowed my spit. "Where is he?"

"Who?" She asked me, looking at me like I was insane.

"My phone." I pointed to my jacket that was laying in the couch. She dug through the pockets and gave me my phone. I unlocked it and called the hospital that I was in.

I rung like twice and somebody picked up.

"Chippenham Hospital, this is Nurse Tessa speaking. How may I help you?"

"H-Hi." I cleared my throat before continuing. "I'm calling to ask about my friend, Cortez White. He was sent in last night."

"Give me one second." I heard her typing on her computer and I looked at my mama who had a confused look on her face. I slid my eyes off of her and looked around at the hospital room. I didn't even notice the balloons and shit.

"Okay." Her voice came back through the phone and I listened attentively.

"Before I can give you this information, are you related to him?"

I sighed. Why does it fucking matter if we related? Just tell me if he okay lady.

"Uhm. No but we are really really good friends and i'm just worried about him."

"I'm sorry but if you are not family I can't-"

"Ma'am please. I'm begging you just....Just tell me he's okay." I was really begging her.

The only reason I wanted him to be okay is because.....Not only he is a god person but I actually do have feelings for him. I didn't wanna admit them at first but the more I think about it, the more I realize that those feelings are there and I can't ignore them or deny them.
I didn't wanna rush into a relationship because I just got out of one and because I was currently pregnant and trying to get stable before the baby arrives.

Maybe sometime in the future we can work to something more than just friends. I actually hope we could. He's a really nice guy, and after he confessed his feelings for more I couldn't help but to feel the same way.
But none of it would matter if he wasn't alive.

"Alright. Alright." She sighed and then continued. "Mr. White's surgery was completed around 7 this morning. Dr. Andrews performed the surgery and said that it went well."