27

Janae Iyana Taylor

"Come out this room." My mama said. I rolled over on my side and she was standing at the door. I sighed and sat up, putting my phone on mute.

"I don't wanna be out there."

"Well everybody wanna see you-"

"So they can ask about Leah." I rolled my eyes.

Today is Christmas Eve and my mama invited everybody over to the house. I didn't even wanna go but my mama said, her words exactly, "Bring ya lil high yellow ass over here, now."
And she was using her stern voice so I just came over here anyway. I wanted to just stay at home because  I was spending Christmas without Leah. I was hoping she would be here by now. But I gotta wait a lil longer than expected.

"Look. All I know is you better be down here in the next 20 minutes." She walked off and I rolled my eyes. I picked my phone up and took the facetime call off mute.

"Puttin' a nigga on mute now?" He grinned and I smacked my teeth

"I was talking to my mama but imma call you back. Gotta go meet n greet."

"Ight. Aye lemme know when you get home."

"Okay." I responded and got out of the bed that was in my mom's guest room.

"Luhh you babymama."

I scrunched my face up and he had a stupid ass smile on his face, showing his grills. I don't know what made him say that because.....I mean yeah we had some intimate moments when we are alone but as far as saying 'I love you'....Definitely weren't there yet.

"Ion know why you lookin' like det, know you luhh me."

"Correction. I have love for you, I don't love you." I walked towards the door of the room.

"Tell det bullshit ass lie to somebody else."

I laughed and opened the door and stood in the hall. "Call you when I leave here."

"Ight."

I hung up and tucked my phone in my back pocket. I walked down the hall and went in the kitchen, not speaking to anyone in the living room. My mama was putting cookies in the oven when I came in. I sat on the stool and she placed a pan with gingerbread men on it in front of me.

"Ice them for me." She smiled and then went back to work. I grabbed the piping bag and started to ice the cookies.

"So...How you feeling today?" She asked me while looking in the cabinets.

"Uh...Fine. Just been thinking about my kid all day."

"I figured that. You know she'll be home soon."

I nodded my head. But Leah was born super early. I already knew she was gonna be in the hospital for a long time.
But I can't hug her, touch her, kiss her, rub her soft skin, see her eyes open....There's a lot of things I want to experience with a newborn but I feel like she's gonna be in the hospital for so long that I won't have the chance to.