Chapter 1 - Setup

18 hours earlier

Elena's POV

I looked at my reflection in the mirror, analyzing if my chosen outfit was acceptable. If it was respectable enough. I turned to the side and ran my hand down over my stomach, rerouting it to the side over my hip. I took a deep breath and flicked my hair into place with the tips of my fingers.

"Sorella (sister)?" I heard a knock on my door followed by my brother's voice.

"Come in."

I watched as the door opened and Niccolo stepped inside, halting at the top of the two steps that descended into my room.

"Uh, where are you going?" He quirked a brow at me as his eyes traveled to my feet then back up.

"I'm meeting Adrian." I crossed my arms in defense, already expecting the next argument.

"And Papà knows, right?"

"Actually, no, Niccolo. Papà does not know and you will not be telling him." I spoke firmly.

He seemed taken aback that I was so stern with him.

"Like hell, I won't! Are you out of your fucking mind!?" His voice began rising.

"You haven't told Papà about your little adventure tonight, which means he has not assigned a security detail for you which in turn means you are left open for an attack by our rivals! You know better than this, Elena!"

I sighed as I ignored him and continued with putting on my heels. I began stalking past him in an attempt to leave but he gently grabbed my arm to turn me to face him.

"Elena, what has gotten into you? You have been acting strangely this past couple of months and now you want to put yourself in danger? Talk to me, Sorella (sister)." His voice was laced with concern.

I looked behind him and noticed my phone on my dressing table. Shit, I almost forgot it. I tried walking towards it, however, Niccolo had other plans as he stepped in front of me, preventing me from descending the step I had climbed. I glared at him with a huff, shooting him a warning glance.

"I'm not letting you leave."

"Like hell, you won't. Remember I've got lots to tell Papà. Like how you fucked your wife in his office at one of our family lunches." I fire back at him.

"Actually, we didn't because you cockblocked that moment. Anything else Sorella (sister)?" He crossed his arms with a smug look.

My eyes narrowed on his as my mind scrambled through my memories, trying to find some sort of leverage, before landing on a specific secret. A grin appeared on my lips with the tilting of my head.

"How about I tell Sierra how Papà has known all along about your little homemade sex tape by the garage?"

I watched as his demeanor faltered slightly, assessing if I was bluffing on whether I knew the full details. He forgets that Cami, our cousin, and I are extremely close and Cami overhears everything her parents speak about. Even when her mother found the alleged sex tape in the recording history.

"You told Sierra only Aunt Ruby knew, not so? You told her nobody else was aware of it, especially not Papà? Or maybe I should let Mamma in on the little secret?"

I saw his jaw clench as a deep breath exited his flaring nostrils. I gave him a sweet smile before stepping to his side and attempted to reach my phone again, only to have him sidestep once more. I huffed deeply in annoyance, my glare becoming deadlier.