Chapter 49 - Heirlooms

Angelo's POV

I followed Elena up the stairs, casually appreciating the layout of the house. I could see her wiping her hands against her dress, her nerves clearly taking over. I was uncertain of what this conversation would entail, part of me a little concerned. I know I've been pushing her buttons today, but I have a feeling this has to do with something entirely different.

I proceeded closely behind her as she leads us through the corridor to one of the bedroom doors standing ajar. She pushed it open, peering inside before entering. I walked through, stopping just above the two steps descending further into her bedroom. It was spacious, elegantly, and modishly decorated with a homely aura.

I watched as she tiptoed her way to the bed, peeping over Lucy before quietly walking and settling upon a cream-colored chaise lounger situated beside a massive sunlit window. She glanced up at me, signaling for me to sit beside her which I obliged. I trudged the path to her, sinking into the empty space next to her body. She was fiddling with her fingers, slowly controlling the pace of her breathing.

"I have something I need to give to you." She began. "I should have given it to you sooner, but things got out of hand really quickly. I had every intention of giving it to you, regardless of how our lives played out. I know you might think you would feel better not seeing it, but I also know you want that heirloom in your life too. I know you and I know how important family is."

I tilted my head to observe her closely. My brows furrowed as I tried to decipher her thoughts, my suspicions arising at the mention of an heirloom. She slipped her hand into her pocket, pulling it out balled into a fist. She then extended her palm towards me, revealing my father's ring.

I felt the color draining from my face as I stared at it, every emotion despairingly rushing through me. I slowly picked up the ring, lifting it to the light and analyzing it as memories of my father struck me like a mine infested war zone.

Elena perceived my demeanor, quickly jumping to her feet, pacing the floor, and busying herself with things that didn't require any tampering. I watched her for a moment, comprehending her hesitation and apprehensiveness. We have never spoken of that night since she confessed it to me. Everything seemed to happen at an alarming pace, taking away the privilege of time.

I studied the ring once more, my mind putting all the pieces into place as clear as day. The pieces were already in place, however, this just solidified it for me. My father's death played the first pivotal point in aligning our fates. As hard and heavy his death was, it played a massive part in having her in my life.

Even if I never searched for her. Even if I never kidnapped her, never once considered taking over the business and walked away from it all, she would have still fought to find me. She would have still made a point and tried her utmost to locate me. I know this for a fact because it is the kind of woman she is. Either way, she would have entered my life at some point and that was due to my father's death.

If my father could speak to me now, I know he would have done it all over again for me. He wouldn't change a thing. He would give his life for my future, repeatedly. I could feel the tears stinging my eyes while gazing up at her. She must have sensed my stare as she gradually whirled around to meet my eye. Her expression filled face, twisting in concern caused me to unveil a soft smile as I extended my hand out to her in indication for her to take it.

She questioned my intentions, apprehensively ambling in my direction. I reassured her further, edging forward on the chaise and motioning my fingers in a welcoming action. She picked up her pace, stopping a distance from me, yet near enough to place her hand in mine. I pulled her closer, using my grip on her hip to guide her onto my lap. She sat down upon my legs, her side facing my front as I brushed my fingers across her cheek before gently pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.