◇40◇

🎆Chapter 40🎆

🎆Chapter 40🎆

"I DON'T THINK much needs to be said between us at this point," Y/N said, examining her nails casually while she was at it. "I'm guessing we both know what to do."

They had moved their conversation to somewhere more private; as you may have guessed, the rooftop of the Wellston building. John mindlessly listened to the words of the girl beside him, focusing more on finding a particular orange head below. His eyes swept through the crowd, glowing clear as day through the eye holes of the mask on his head.

"I need Isen's ability first," The dark haired boy replied.

"You do you," She returned simply. "While you do that, I'll figure out who took her."

This time he didn't respond, merely giving her a curt, dismissive nod. Before she shut the door behind her, his voice stopped her.

"Wait."

She twisted her head back over her shoulder and raised an eyebrow. Their eyes met.

It took him a brief moment to resume. "...I'm assuming you know why I'm doing this. But why are you? What are you going to get out of this whole thing?"

For a second, Y/N stared back with a blank expression before expressing in a thoughtful tone, "Well, our society has always been unjust and cruel. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. The strong get stronger, the weak get weaker. Blah blah, all that, you know? Those at the bottom of the chain have no way of fighting back. They're taught from a young age that they're inferior to those at the top of the chain. That they'll never be able to overcome them. On the other hand, those born more powerful are treated like Royalty. They end up thinking they can do whatever they want without consequences..."

He agreed. "Exactly. That's why-"

"Ah, ah. I didn't finish." She held up her finger. "As I was saying, people who are born with power can basically do whatever they want. It may not be right, but that's just the way life works. Think about it: would we really be able to do anything if we aren't as strong as we are? However, if you were gonna ask me, I would say none of this shit matters. To answer your question John..."

A devious smile slowly spread across her lips.

"...some people just want to watch the world burn."

-

"Do you see any overlaps between the students I've marked? Or any one from the group of mid-tiers you just mentioned?" A certain blonde inquired, gesturing his finger to the yearbook. Elaine had recruited help from a girl named Evie, who could supposedly help them find Seraphina's kidnappers.