◇46◇

🎆Chapter 46🎆

🎆Chapter 46🎆

IT WAS SUPPOSED to be a peaceful coffee break.

Granted, it was his fault for choosing a career as demanding as this. All Joe wanted was to enjoy his first break since the start of his night shift, so imagine his surprise when a middle aged lady came running into the police station shrieking like a lunatic, latching onto his shoulders and shaking him back and forth repeatedly at 2 am in the morning.

He fucking loved his job.

Swallowing his curses, he plastered on a polite smile, "M-ma'am, I'm gonna need you to step back and take some deep breaths—"

"Someone's o-out to get me! O-on my wall—! T-there's blood..and...and... just fucking help me—! Please...I cant die! Not yet! I haven't done anything to deserve this—!" Pleading nonstop, she collapsed to her knees in tears.

Joe sighed and pinched his nose bridge exasperatedly. "Please get up ma'am. I'll come to your home to investigate." He gave one last dejected look to his now cold coffee, putting on his hat and taking out the key to his police car. One of his coworkers shot him a sympathetic look, silently thanking him for taking one for the team.

He had a feeling it was going to be a long night.

Twenty minutes later, he arrived at the address the lady had gave him. M/N's car had been right behind his the entire ride back, paranoia willing her body to not leave anybody's side for the time being. Absolute terror was still evident on her face.

Wait a second.

M/N froze. The front door to her house was wide open.

...Did she leave it like that?

..She was in such a hurry that her memory was foggy. Panic set in, and she began biting down on her fingernails so hard they bled. It was plausible, right? She definitely just forgot to close the door when she ran out. Yeah...I just forgot...

Joe stepped into the quiet house in front of her, switching on the lights as he surveyed the surroundings. "You must've been pretty scared to leave your door like that. What did you say happened again?"

"I...in the bathroom upstairs...someone put b-blood on my mirror...it s-said.." She felt a lump in her throat, unable to even speak of the words she saw. Noticing her discomfort, Joe didn't push any further.

"Alright, I'll go check it out for you. You can stay here if that's easier for you, Ma'am."

"I-I'll stay outside the door.."