◇48◇

🎆 Chapter 48🎆

🎆 Chapter 48🎆

SOME TIME LATER, a former underling of Cecile during her rule of the school press had come to visit her. They conversed in small talk while Y/N sat wordlessly on the side wrapping bandages on her nonexistent injuries.

Her S/C hand stopped briefly in midair when a head of dark brown hair peeled out from behind the curtain, followed by a familiar matching voice.

"Oh, hey! I just wanted to check up on—" He saw the student next to Cecile and dipped faster than students on the last day of school. "—Whoops, wrong person! Sorry bout that, I'll be on my way now!"

Cecile's friend then took that opportunity to bash the boy, an irk mark on his forehead. "You'd think that cripple would watch himself by now. Invading in on your privacy like that—"

A small, feminine snicker was heard from the bed next to them.

Before he noticed, Cecile cleared her sore throat quickly, "I..it doesn't bother me. Hey Otis, can you leave for now. I want some time to myself."

"Yeah, sure."

Once his footsteps could no longer be heard in the infirmary, John poked out again, a playful smirk on his face. "Phew! Almost gave us away there, huh?"

The cyan-haired girl's face soured. "Wow, look who has the heart to visit—!"

"Oh, come on! Don't be mad." He brushed it off.

"Of course I'm mad! We made an alliance, and you couldn't even hold back a little?!"

Shoving his hands in his pocket, he retorted, "Hey, I already warned you ahead of time. It's not like I had a choice. If I had let you off easily, what would everyone else think? Joker shows no mercy, yet somehow, Cecile gets away with only a couple of scratches? I don't think so. If I show leniency, people will just do whatever they want. That would make me a pushover, just like Arlo." He hummed, "And you wouldn't want that, would you?"

"..."

"And I mean, look at Y/N." The said heterochromatic girl glanced up with cold eyes at the mention of her name. "She seems fine. No complaints from her."

"Well, not much for me to complain about compared to her."

John narrowed his eyes, "Speaking of which, what was that back there? You weren't supposed to put up that much of a fight."

Y/N replied cooly. "I still went along in the end. Isn't that all that matters?"

"..Yeah.."