Chapter IV ✠ Blood Blades

The morning came too early for Una. She had finally fallen asleep at dawn after tossing and turning all night long. She was thinking of what she was going to do with Frey and his group that had invaded her homeland. What could she do now, now that there were here? What could she do now that the day was upon her, that terrible day that Una would get her revenge?

She can't kill Frey, not yet anyway, not until she knows who foraged his dagger. Her heart pounded with the very thought of interrogating him. What if he gave her the wrong man? What if she killed an innocent man who was framed on purpose, or else his family would be killed.

"Gods help me!" Una screeched as she rolled out of her bed.

She stood up, frustrated by both her lack of sleep and lack of understanding her dilemma. She grabbed her tangled long hair in her fists and bunched it up on the top of her head. She felt like screaming at the top of her lungs. She was not prepared for this day, not at all.

Suddenly Una heard three knocks on her door. She stood there, still in the dress covered in blood. She hadn't even tended to her wounds on her hand and her chest. The wound on her breast was inflamed, but it didn't hurt nearly as bad as yesterday when she touched it.

"You may enter," Una said hoarsely.

She had screamed so much yesterday, more than ever before. Not even in battle did Una yell so much. She thought it was a waste of energy.

"It's just me, Una." A petite and soft-spoken woman came and peeked through the crack of the door.

"Good morning, Marged." Una sighed in relief.

"Is anything the matter, me lady?" Marged said, putting her curly red hair behind her ears.

She came in and closed the door behind her, a bucket in her hand.

"Darren sent me early this morning. He said you needed tending to from last night."

She smiled, her gray eyes twinkling in anticipation. She was oblivious that Una had been injured.

"A group of Danes had come to infiltrate our kingdom. I have them locked away until I figure out exactly what is going on." Una said, walking to the window and opened the glass doors.

A gust of cold air came blazing through the room, but it was just what Una needed, fresh air to calm her senses.

"Can you smell the autumn air?" Una smiled, peering out the window.

It was nearing the harvest season. Celebrations will take place soon in honor of the Gods and the excellent harvesting ahead. It was Una's favorite time of year, but she fears it may have soured due to the untimely presence of her Viking guests.

"Una?" Marged put the bucket down and walked up behind her.

"Your hair! What have you done, Una! It looks like you have been through battle, and even then, you wear your hair in pleats, and it is more orderly than it is now." Marged said, pulling on a tat at the bottom of Una's hair length.

Una turned around and faced Marged. Being this close, Marged could see the blood on her chest.

"Una! Tell me who did this!" Marged demanded.

Una just smiled and walked away to her vanity, where she sat and began to brush her hair.

"It is quite atrocious now that you point it out." Una laughed as she brushed the tangles out with force, ripping some of her hairs out with it.

"Una!" Marged exclaimed.

I'm fine, Marged, I assure you." Una smiled and winced.

"No, you're not!" Marged said, ripping the comb out ofUna's hand.