Chapter LVIII ✠ The Beginning of the End

When Una awoke, it was almost as if she was waking up in a dream. Una awoke on her back, the natural sleeping position of all warriors. She turned her head slightly and could see Alaric peacefully asleep at his side, his face directed toward her. Una turned her head back. She felt so strange laying there. Was she really alive? Una blinked a few times and suddenly felt her heart flutter. She could feel her body, still radiating in bliss. Una couldn't help but smile as she remembered what had happened. She slowly brought her hand to her face and gently traced her fingers over her lips. She peered back over at Alaric again. How was it possible that he kissed her, and why? Una never suspected it. She expected to be rejected. Una knew Alaric was not the type to use people, especially her. She knew that he was faithful.

Una smiled again and laughed to herself, thinking about it. The kiss, the way he held her body, the words he spoke. Una played it back in her head over and over again. With each passing time, she was further convinced it was real.

Now, an unfortunate reality has come to her attention. She had to leave Alaric now. It was sweet irony. Of all the people she loved, they left her. Now she would leave him to fight alongside his murderous uncle, Njord. Una knew this hour was rapidly approaching. She knew that these past few days, everyone was preparing. Last night, no one was out, for everything had been adequately prepared for battle. All that was left were the soldiers to awake this morning and get on their steeds, heading for the heart of Mercia.

Una took a deep breath, and she could feel her tears of sadness burning in her eyes. She slowly closed them, but they trembled as much as her lip. She was heartbroken, but she knew she had to go. Una slowly rose, careful not to wake Alaric. She knew if she woke him, it would be impossible to say goodbye. She stood up slowly, carefully. She turned and looked at him. He looked at peace laying there, as beautiful as ever. Una stood there, tormented by her heart and mind. She wanted to stay there next to him, but she knew where her duty was as a warrior. Her eyes were hot with tears, and her cheeks flushed. She was so frustrated. The longer she stood there gazing down at him, the more she wanted to stay.

"I'm sorry." Una mouthed and turned quickly.

She closed her eyes and furrowed her brow. Her face was contorted in grief, anger, and happiness.

"It's okay," Una whispered to herself as she clenched her fists.

She took her first steps away from the bed. She felt different now. Her body ached as she made her way to the door.

"It was worth it," Una whispered to herself again with a smile.

Her tears came again as she smiled. She was so conflicted as she walked over to the door.

"To love you was one of my greatest joys thus far," Una mumbled as her voice cracked.

Una held her hand over her mouth as she tried to conceal her wail of sadness.

"Forgive me." Una sobbed silently to herself.

She could hear Alaric stir. She turned around to see him flip over on his other side, oblivious of the fact that Una was leaving him. Una tried to hold that image in her head, the last glimpse of his face before she would go. She felt the chain of her pendant on her chest growing cold from the exposed air. She touched it, remembering Frey, Alaric's twin he never got to meet.

"It belongs to you," Una mumbled to herself as she took it off.

She dangled the beautiful pendant in front of her. The dainty chain wrapped around her fingers like a thread of silk. It had laid across where her heart was, a reminder of the promise she brings to all. Now she lays it gently on the arm of the chair next to her. The light catches it so perfectly that the red gem casts a shimmering reflection across the ceiling. It will be for Alaric's promise to keep now, to be the greatest king he could ever be for his people. He was the rightful and the true king. It was his father's pendant, after all.