Chapter XLII ✠ The Dark Order

Una was making her way down the hall, looking for Alaric now. She had much to discuss with him now that she was feeling better, especially about last night. She was angry and confused and needed closure on why Alaric became this person Una doesn't know anymore. Una was always leery of people, but this man was the last person she would ever expect to be who he is.

"Alaric?" Una mumbled as she walked into his medicine room.

As she entered, she could see that he was not there. Una turned around and ventured out of the room and managed to run into Sir David with another guard. He looked as miserable as everyone else in the castle.

"Good morrow." He said politely to Una with a bow.

David's hair was more tangled than Una's.

"And you both as well," Una said with a smile.

David saw Una's dress. It was wrinkled and stained and looked just as gross as what he was wearing. David, too woke up this morning very sick, as well as many others. He had noticed, though, that something was quite peculiar going on.

"Have you heard, my lady?" Sir David asked.

"Heard what?" Una asked.

"All the highest lords in Wintacaster have disappeared. I think they are cowards and had run from the war!" Sir David said.

"That is rather cowardly, but I see that they would rather protect their riches than their people," Una added.

"That's common here. The only good man that has stayed was old Lord Hedwig of Wareham. We just found out he finally met God last night in his bed. His slaves and servants all had run away with his tangible riches. They tore the house up. Even the thatching had been pillaged through."

"That's tragic," Una said.

"Indeed, he was a good lord." The other man said.

This man had very light-colored green eyes that would not blink, staring down at Una. She wondered if Alaric had written on her face with soot while she was asleep, but Laurel didn't say anything.

"It was an extraordinary night. Many things happened, but that's Samhain when the darkness is closest. I imagine that many tragic things befell us before the morning dawn." Una said.

They shook their heads in agreement.

"You two haven't seen Alaric, have you? I've been looking for him." Una said.

"Don't tell me he's gone too?" The other man laughed.

"No, he was here earlier."

"I thought I saw him heading back to his room." The man said, swooping his silky umber hair behind his ears.

"Thank you, sir," Una said.

"Good day to you both then. I must be on my way." Una said, nodding and turning back around in the direction of Alaric's room.

"Wait, my lady!" The other man said.

"What is your name, might I ask?"

Una turned around and smiled.

"Una."

"May I see you again, my lady Una?" The man asked.

"Certainly." Una hesitated.

David seemed shocked by Una's response.

Una had never met this man before, but clearly, he was interested in her for some reason. Then again, it is not every day that Celts are walking through the castle. Una had her heart set on Gareth, however, even though this love was forbidden.