Chapter XXXI ✠ Stagnant Blood

Una felt Ingrid lean back away from her some. She pointed out in the distance as she could see Gareth marching down the steps into the courtyard.

"There he is, lady Una!" She shouted with a grin on her lips.

Ingrid was very excited that Gareth was becoming the king this day. She loved Idris, but he had no interest in the affairs of the youth of the kingdom. He was interested in the ways of the old dark world, the world that had been controlled for millennia under roman conquest. This was the world of rape and pillage, of blood and bones. Now that the Vikings were here, now was the time to reform so the people of Bryttania would not make the same mistakes twice.

Gareth could fortify Wessex and keep the Vikings at bay. Ingrid herself was a Dane by lineage, but she grew up to hate the Vikings. She saw what they did to her town, and because of them, everyone hated her family. Here in Wessex, she found refuge, a home. All she wants now is to be protected more. She is confident in Gareth that no Viking shall pass the shores of the great land of Wessex.

Una saw Gareth from a distance. He was just out of reach to meet Una's eyes. He was busy mounting his horse to lead the parade out to his father's tomb. This will be Idris's final ride to his final destination on the green Earth. This day was cold, and a bitter wind swept up that made a chill that rooted from the skin and burrowed into the heart. Everyone was saddened today, but the time of mourning was over. Today was anew, with a new king and many new dawns to come. Gareth was a very proactive prince in the community, so naturally, everyone felt that he would be a worthy king. The only ones who disdained Gareth were the ones who were jealous of his power, beauty, and benevolence.

"My, isn't he the loveliest sight in his royal garb?" Ingrid whispered loudly, and her cheeks grew red.

An older woman, sitting on a shire horse that resembled Roosa, turned around and peered over at Una and Ingrid.

"I'd say! The prettiest lad in the whole kingdom and much prettier than my husband at that age. You girls are lucky to be in his age bracket because if I were young again, I'd..."

"Janelle!" The man on the horse next to her interrupted her.

"Forgive me, my dearest." She said, dropping her head down but looked up at Una and winked.

Una smiled and laughed. She liked the people of this town. They were all so kind and humorous. Una was sitting toward the back of the procession. She had run a tad late after all, but not as late as Gareth was. She wonders what has kept him for so long. Una and Ingrid watch Gareth as he trots forward. He quickly makes eye contact with Una but quickly turns away.

"Hmph, he's acting strange," Ingrid said.

"Wouldn't you on your father's burial day?" Una added, remembering her father's burial.

Una was so sick that day, she threw up and could barely stand. She could only cry.

"I didn't get to see my father buried. They hung his head upon a stake at the town's gate." Ingrid said quietly.

Una felt terribly small and embarrassed.

"I'm so sorry, Ingrid, I didn't know. I didn't mean to say such a thing." Una said solemnly.

"It is not a bother. He was a cruel man anyway. He beat my brother, and he would come after me if he were drunk enough." Ingrid said, barely below a whisper.

Ingrid's bright demeanor sunk into a sulk. It reminded Una of herself, how bright and happy she was. After Eurion's death, she became softer in nature, quieter, and kept to herself often. Una wonders if her baby sister had grown up, would she have been just like Ingrid. Perhaps that's why Una has instantly taken a liking to her so fast.