Chapter LIV ✠ The Test

Alaric was holding his bloody lip against the sleeve of his tunic. It was the inside part of his bottom lip that sustained the blow from Ragnar. Other than this, he was fine. However, Una knew that he almost was cut into by the man he was fighting, Ragnar.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Una asks Alaric.

"Yeah, other than this." He mumbled with a laugh as he put pressure on his mouth.

Una was still worried for him. If Njord already had planned an attempt to kill him, she wonders what else would happen soon.

"Okay," Una said, taking off her cloak.

"Wish me luck with Njord." Una scoffed.

"You're really going to fight him?" Alaric said, surprised.

"I have to prove myself somehow to these people. Even if I don't win, at least Njord will appear strong." Una said.

"I'm not so sure that's a good thing. Just do what you feel necessary." Alaric said.

"Okay," Una said, throwing her cloak down in the snow.

She turned around and walked into the center of the circle. There Njord stood, crossing his arms. Everyone around them began to whisper and mumble. Everyone looked confused. Why were Njord and the strange visitor woman in the center? A woman was not permitted to fight a man, only other women.

"Are you ready?" Njord asks, pulling off his cloak and tunic, tossing it to the ground.

Una could hear everyone gasp behind her. They were not expecting Njord to participate, and especially to fight this girl. Why would he want to fight his guest and a girl at that?

"Aren't you going to take your dress off?" He laughed, peering down at Una.

Una could see that Njord had tattoos on both of his shoulders stretching to his back. She had never seen anything so elaborate looking or detailed. She had seen tattoos before, but they were usually smaller, nothing of this size. Her mother had one, a deer running into a moon on her forearm.

"I've fought in them before," Una assured him.

"It's going to be quite difficult to get between your legs with your dress impeding me." He grinned.

"That's exactly why it stays on." Una laughed as she crouched down in a readying stance.

"As you wish, Una." He cocked another evil grin and got into his readying stance.

Alaric held his breath as he watched. Everyone around him was looking at each other, wondering why their king would fight a woman. He was breaking his own rules for the wrestling game. Suddenly he heard the blow of the horn, and before he could blink, Njord had knocked Una off of her feet.

"Ahh!" Una gasped as she was slammed down into the ground.

She felt bones in her spine pop, and he pressed hard on her shoulders.

"You should do that again. It felt quite nice." Una laughed with her eyes furrowed.

"How about this." Njord wrapped his fingers gently over her neck and pressed in.

Una just laughed at him as her throat grew tighter and tighter. At the last moment when she couldn't breathe, she threw her knee up as high as she could and kneed Njord in the groin. His face contorted in pain, and he slightly released her neck. Una quickly breathed in and held it as she took her hands and forced them under his. She grabbed his neck in his hand and kneed him again. He gasped but still stood firm over her.

"You...fight well.... for a Celt." He grimaced.

"You fight poorly for a king." Una coughed.

Una could hear the crowd in the background. They all were shocked at the sight of this. Never had Njord ever wrestled a woman to the ground. Has he gone mad?