Chapter LIII ✠ The Hard Earth

Alaric felt nervous now, more than anytime in his life. How could he trust the man that killed his family, and now he treats him as if he was the son of this man? When Njord told Alaric of his true heritage, he barely said it with any emotion. It was more of a psychological reinforcer to keep Alaric at his side instead of imprisoning him or having him murdered. He sits nervously next to Njord now, his uncle, the slayer of his father.

Little does Alaric know that the entire town knows who he is. They knew the queen had twins. They knew one of them didn't make it through the first month of birth, but they never knew which one. They assumed Alaric was the runaway prince when the real one was buried in Wessex. This man, Njord, everyone hates him. King Neilson made peace with Wealas and destroyed the Mercian army. Njord fled from battle and returned as a traitor. Since then, the kingdom of York has slowly crumbled away from its former glory of peace and prosperity.

Now Alaric and Una were here, in the wolf's den. They're trapped, but then Alaric proposed something that Njord could not refuse. Njord knows Una could take his head quickly. The reason why she hadn't yet was because of Alaric. He stands between Njord and Una, preventing both of them from striking. Njord knows what Una needs and wants. She wants his head on a stake, but she needs an army. Una has to think in terms of her people and not herself. She will need any sword against the Mercian army. She knows the Danes had helped the kingdom of Wealas before when the entire country went up in arms against Mercia, who tried to take over the whole land of Bryttania.

Njord has a plan. He can rebuild York if he goes off to battle with Una. He could win and prove his worth to his people. If he helps Una, he believes she won't take his head. It was blood for blood. Una could have his head or his army. Alaric knew this too, but instead of him going back with Una, it will be King Njord, the traitor king. Alaric had been ordered to stay behind. He suspects he will be assassinated, but he won't tell Una. She needs this army. This is the one thing Alaric can't protect her from, his uncle. He knows she could quickly end his miserable life, but he wonders if she would be foolish enough to trust him. Despite the way Alaric acts now, he is always on guard. He will remain alive until Una leaves. If he were killed before she left, Una would surely take Njord's head.

Alaric and Una are sitting around a long, thick wooden table covered in a feast. Una sits to king Njord's right as the honored guest, but everyone knows Alaric should be sitting in that seat. Alaric sits to Njord's left side, trying to compose himself. He has no appetite. He stares at his plate, stacked high with food. The main dish was roasted lamb with berries. There was a steaming bowl of nettle soup next to him and smoked fish. Njord looks over at him and seems pleased at the sight of his discomfort. Down the length of the table were Njords men and the rest of the family. Njord has a young toddler son who was smacking his foot with his hands. His mother was trying to get him to eat. Across from her was Idun, the grandmother of Alaric, Njord's mother. Down the rest of the table, many men were swallowing and laughing.

"Please, eat Una. You must try the lamb. It was your father's favorite." He smirked at Una.

Una clutched the knife in her hand, trying every strength she had not to talk back to him or make a scene.

"Thank you, my king. Your hospitality is endless." Una cracked a fake smile and stabbed a chunk of meat with her knife, slamming the flesh on her plate.

The wife looked up at Una with a face full of disgust. Alaric was startled by it too. He had never seen Una act this way. He had eaten with her formally at a table a few times. She always had impeccable table manners for a Celt. Now she was acting like a Viking girl how she chewed and slammed her food around as if she was purposely trying to make Njord dismiss her from the table.

"My, my. What an appetite. It's good, isn't it." Njord laughed and ripped a piece of meat with his teeth.

"Very much, though I'm not very fond of the thought of shedding the blood of innocent lambs," Una smirked.