Chapter XXXVIII ✠ The Betrayal

It was still very early in the morning, so Una's discretion was still not as acute as if she were fully awake. Standing there with Wilona on the ground, Una thought Wilona was asleep. Wilona was playing as if she was sleeping as Una began to spill her thoughts about the matter. Gareth knew that Alaric had not done this, neither did Una. Before Una can stop herself, she barely utters the word Ingrid before she stoves up.

Wilona was infuriated. She had to get rid of Ingrid once and for all. If she did not, she would try something else to kill her. She was even more infuriated that Gareth was very passive about this. He shrugged Ingrid's attempt off how an adult would shrug off a child's punch to the leg. Ingrid was almost successful.

Una dismissed herself and said she was going to confront Ingrid about this. Sometime later, Una came back to check on the queen. Una had talked to Ingrid, and Ingrid denied it all. It hurt Una deeply that she was lying to her. She never expected that of all people, one of her closest friends now was yet again betraying her not with her actions but for words. Of course, Una knew that Ingrid had to protect herself. No matter how much Una consoled her and promised that she would not be angry with her, Ingrid continues to deny her nefarious act of poisoning the queen. Una hated the queen too, but she would never go to the lengths to kill the woman.

"Your highness, are you feeling any better?" Una asked as she sat at the end of her bed.

"Much better. Thank you for your concern, Una. Sir David has been fulfilling my every request, though what would you expect from such a virtuous knight." She giggled.

Una suspected that Alaric might have put a sedative in her tea this time that has made her a bit loopy. She was acting very kind toward Una now, despite all that Wilona thought of her.

"He is very kind, isn't he? I have to ask him to leave from guarding my door because I'm paranoid he'll hear me cough and come running over with liquor and cinnamon." Una laughed.

"Are you not fond of liquor?" Wilona laughed.

"I'll drink it if it's appropriate, though I prefer juices and teas." Una smiled back.

"That's quite odd. Most people love to drink here, especially the hard stuff." Wilona laughed.

"I know Alaric only likes it for medicines, and I know Ingrid is repulsed by it as well, so she told me." Una grinned.

"How...interesting. Ingrid doesn't like to drink, nor Alaric?" She laughed.

"Yeah," Una said, feeling that she was a little too interested.

"Well, Una. As you know, tonight is the night of Samhain. Since we must all stay in the castle, I was wondering if you would like to join me for a little celebration later." Wilona said and reached out and grabbed Una's hand.

"Oh, a celebration, you say?" Una said nervously.

Una knew this was no ordinary celebration.

"A celebration of life, that I have lived through the worst and have come back stronger. Me and the baby." Wilona said, squeezing her hand.

"Will Gareth be attending? It's quite late already." Una fake smiled.

"Nay, it will be us queens and a few of my closest friends. I already extended the invitation to Alaric, though, so he could reconcile with me after this little accident. There will be entertainment too. I am sure you will find it most stimulating. Gareth will come to bed soon, and then that is when I will leave. You can meet me in the throne room. Sir David will let you pass." Wilona's voice deepened.

"Is that so." Una laughed hesitantly.

"Yes. Us queens have to stick together, you know. We are more powerful than kings. Gareth wouldn't get it. It's about motherhood." Wilona smiled.