Chapter L ✠ The Latch

Una woke from hearing a soft knock on her door. Her eyes opened quickly. Una could feel her heartbeat in her chest, slow but present. She looked around the room and realized she was no longer in her dreamland. She was having such a wonderful dream, a pleasant one for once. Una could feel the sunshine hit her face through the window. She rose slowly, taking a deep and much-needed breath. She stretched her arms up, and she could feel the relieving pop of her joints as her fingertips reached toward the ceiling.

"You may enter." Una yawned.

"You have the door latched. I can't enter." Una heard Alaric's familiar voice mumble through.

"Hold on," Una said as she swung her body over the edge of the bed and stood up.

She pated her scrunched nightdress down and walked to the door, still yawning. She put her hand over the latch and lifted it. She pulled the door open, and Alaric walked in.

"I must have forgotten about the latch. I don't trust these people here." Una said, shutting the door firmly.

"It's no trouble. I did the same. For the past two nights, I've had three whores knocking on my chamber door, all at the same time." He laughed.

"How peculiar, I had three rats scampering around my floor yesterday. Perhaps the whores shift different forms at night! I'm surprised you didn't take the opportunity, considering you haven't visited Johanna in a long while." Una laughed as she sat on the edge of the bed, watching Alaric stare out of the window.

Alaric darted his head and looked down at Una, his cheeks flushed. He pursed his lips and returned, looking out the window with a smile.

"I know I speak the truth when you blush like that! Ha!" Una laughed.

"The women who are Danes usually are a bit more masculine than I like in their features. I'd prefer not to bed down beasts." Alaric laughed.

"I agree, this place seems like a different world, where men are more fair and lovely than the women! Just think for a moment. The longer you are away from Johanna, the greater your love grows. I know when you return to her, she will be waiting for you, probably on a bed full of...what did you say, forget me nots?" Una laughed.

Alaric bowed his head and crossed his arms, leaning against the cold stone wall next to the window.

"If you'd like to hear the truth now, I never once warmed her bed. We have expressed our love to each other verbally, but never in the flesh." Alaric said softly.

"Oh. I'm sorry, I... I didn't mean to say that. I just assumed, but my assumptions were incorrect." Una said, embarrassed.

"It's alright. We've made attempts, but I couldn't go through with it." Alaric said honestly.

"It will happen when the time is right." Una smiled.

"I'm afraid it won't." Alaric sighed.

Una stared up at him, confused.

"Have you not confessed your fidelity to her?" Una asked.

"I can't help because of Wilona," Alaric said.

Una said nothing. She just stared up at Alaric.

"She hurt you, didn't she," Una said faintly.

"When King Idris took me to the castle, I was young. His men, who were three times my age, didn't know how to suture or clean wounds. I was his favorite, but also Wilona's. When she came to the castle betrothed to Gareth some eight years ago, she spotted me. She called me to her bedside constantly, complaining of ailments that didn't exist. She finally forced herself on me and took my innocence. What could I do, she was a grown woman, and I was still just a child? She tried to get me to join her dark allegiance, and when I refused, she took Ingrid instead. I didn't realize this till many years later when she finally spoke up about her torture. I decided to switch with her. I couldn't see sweet Ingrid tortured anymore."