Chapter XLVIII ✠ Future Scars

Una's eyes snap open. She can feel the blood in her body pulsate through her veins. Her heart nearly burst out of her chest. She watched Alaric violently sit up in the bed, looking toward the door.

"Unlatch ye door!" The older woman's voice cracked as she banged on the heavy wooden door.

"Ugg." Una moaned, wrapping her body in the blanket and walking toward the door.

Una pushed the latch up and pulled the door in, revealing the older woman standing there with a wad of clothes in her hand.

"Oh," Alaric said and fell back into the hard bed.

"Here, ye adulterous heathens!" She shouted, shoving the clothes in Una's arms and slamming the door.

"Um, thank you," Una said faintly.

"Not the friendliest woman, but at least she does what we ask. Gold can do wonders." Alaric smiled, and he pulled the blanket back up to his neck.

Una turned around and walked back to the bed, sitting on the end.

"Still a little damp, but I'm glad she tried." Una hesitated to look at the clothing.

The dirt was out, but there was still a faint outline of blood on the bottom of her long tunic. Una sorted her clothes out from the pile and handed the rest to Alaric. He looked up at her and smirked.

"How is mine?" He asked.

"I think she could tell the difference because yours are spotless." Una laughed, standing up.

"I'll be back in a moment," Una said, walking to the door.

"I was just going to turn around." He smiled.

Una laughed and walked back to the corner of the room.

"Alright then." Una laughed.

Alaric sat up, still wrapped in the heavy blankets, and grabbed his clothes.

"Don't look." He joked.

"What can I say, sometimes I can't resist the allure of men. They are all so statuesque and beautiful, especially warriors...and healers." Una jested as she turned and threw her blankets to the floor.

"Humph, so I'm a sight for sore eyes then?" Alaric laughed as he peeked over his shoulder as he laced up his pants.

"Most definitely." Una laughed, lacing up her pants too.

Alaric turned to the side and watched Una. He paused for a moment as he examined the scars on her exposed back and arms. He didn't realize how badly bruised and torn she was. He was particularly concerned with a slash mark across the top of her shoulder. It was deep. He didn't know how she had not complained about it or even mentioned it.

"Una, your arm!" He exclaimed, walking over.

He didn't care that she was half-naked. Her hair was long enough to cover over her breasts anyways.

"Alaric! Don't look at me!" Una said, folding her arms over her chest and turning to her side.

"Let me see that gash! It's terrible! Are you not in pain!?" He said, walking up to her.

"It's nothing," Una said, blushing.

He gently touched her shoulder. It was hot to the touch and inflamed red. He could feel her arm involuntarily flinch, but Una didn't make a noise.

"We need to get this dressed up now!" He demanded.

"I'm fine," Una said, turning to the wall and trying to put on her long tunic.