Chapter IX ✠ To Dust

Una could not sleep, not until she could understand why the Gods would punish her so severely. They had ripped everyone away from her, including her best friend. No one was safe from her, Una thought. There had to be a reason why this has happened, and this had to be stopped.

Una decided that Marged and Darren would be laid together on the cremation alter. Darren was supposed to be immediately cremated after the celebration of his life, but there was no celebration. Everyone thought he was a traitor, leaving his rightful home to pursue his birth home with the dreaded Danes. Slave or soldier, there was little respect for Darren after people learned of his betrayal. He was going to leave Snowdonia, his child, and his wife. If he had not acted foolishly, he would have been alive. Marged didn't even know of his betrayal. No one told her, only that he had been killed.

Una was one of the few that came to the burn alter to cremate the two. Yvar, of course, came to see Una, and there was Aelwyd to pay her respects. Una was shocked not to see Aaron, especially considering that Darren was too close to him. There were a few soldiers that came. They weren't very close to Una, though.

Darren's body was severely distended, so they had to cover his entire body in silk linen. The air was putrid with the scent of decay, but at least his wife could be sent off with him to their final and rightful home. Una lit the torch and walked up to the altar, lighting five points that circumnavigate the large stone. There were animal fats weaved into the hay and twigs to allow the large limbs of trees to catch. Una watched as they were slowly set ablaze.

Una felt overwhelmed and dropped the torch. She walked away from the altar, feeling too many unsavory emotions.

"Una!" Yvar called out to Una as she scampered into the woods.

She collapsed on her knees and fell forward, her hand covering her mouth so no one could hear her cry. Her gold headpiece slipped off of her head, and her embellished necklaces became tangled. She didn't care. She didn't want to see anyone at the moment. She just wanted to be alone. She almost felt anger when she felt the gentle hand of Yvar being placed on the back of her shoulder. He kneeled next to her, careful not to step on her elaborate purple and green silk robe.

"Una..." His voice trailed off.

Una looked up. His vibrant baby blue and green eyes reflected the pillar of fire in the distance. He stared at her with so much sympathy that it made Una feel even more despair. Suddenly she began to smell the putrid stench of burning hair and skin. They reminded her of some of her battles when the thatching of houses was set ablaze and people trapped inside burned. Una felt herself convulse, and she quickly jumped up and plunged herself over a bush where she profusely vomited. She hadn't thrown up like this since the last time she got drunk a few years ago. Una was puking from her grief and pain. It was so overwhelming that she felt ill.

After she emptied all the contents of her stomach, her body still made her dry heave, which worried Yvar. He stood up and helped Una walk to a clearing in the woods.

"Thank you. I felt a bit faint." Una laughed, trying to make light of her condition.

Una looked up at Yvar. He was emotionless. He walked in front of Una and sat down in the grass. Una followed and sat in front of him. The light of the ever-brightening moon made his long side braid look silver in this light. He looked like he was glowing in his long white cloak, but nothing was darker and lamenting than his words and tone. Yvar was one of the few men that Una knew could bring the joy out of any situation. Una was like this, but Yvar was exceptionally skilled. This was the first time she has seen Yvar so severe.

"Forgive me for the asking, but what has happened, what is happening?" He said in a low tone, something she never imagined that Yvar could utter.

Una felt her tear ducts burn again. She was tired of crying. It was her last defense, and now that is all Una feels like she is doing.