Chapter XXX ✠ Leading Lies

Una put her hand on her warm cheek. How could she be so oblivious? The day that Una's father, the great king Cynan was murdered, was the same day Eurion was crowned king. The coronation had to be immediate. With no king to govern the kingdom, the people would feel vulnerable even though there is no real threat.

Una continued to clothe herself in the beautiful silk dresses. She then adorned her waist with a gold belt she found. The pieces in front hung down like a cascading waterfall of glinting sunlight. Una added the peplos brooches on her shoulders, the ones that Llewellyn had given Una. They didn't match the gold, but they would be hidden under Una's hair and veil. Una had never worn a veil before, but she knew it was standard to wear one, incredibly noble. Besides, Una didn't want to raise a brow to anyone.

Though Idris loved the kingdom of Gwynedd, that is not to say everyone else did. Una's people didn't take too kindly to outsiders, though Una could understand. Everyone thought the welsh kings and queens were of dragon's blood. You were either loved or hated. That was the nature of Bryttania. Cynan had once told Una that when the Romans came to invade a thousand years ago, they were the ones that disrupted the balance. Yes, feuding clans, kingdoms, and tribes, but nothing instilled more hatred than the intruders. Now that the Vikings have come, the second wave of hatred has swept the land. No one can trust each other. It was brother against brother yet again.

Una gently took out her two side braids and combed them out with her hands. Her usually straight hair fell into shimmering waves of dark amber. Then she gathered an off-white silk veil over her head and set it in place with a gold headpiece she found with the belt. She couldn't see if it was crooked because there was no mirror in this room. Una walked over to a bronze water basin situated on top of a large stand. She splashed water across her face and patted it dry with her veil. Una walked over to the large window, unlatched it, and allowed the wind to carry away any dampness left on her face. The wind carried her veil up, and Una had to hold her headpiece down so it wouldn't blow off. She tried to match the nobles she had seen in town, what they wore. Una hopes she won't be the laughingstock of this special day.

Una suddenly heard a knock on her door.

"Lady Una?" Ingrid said faintly outside the cracked door.

Ingrid had brought Una's boots and clothing back. She also brought up some berries to eat and a chunk of chalk to polish her teeth with.

"Ingrid?" Una said, walking to the door and opening it.

Ingrid stood there and blinked her eyes a few times. Towering over her was Una, dressed in such lovely garb. The way she stood with her hands clasped at her midriff made her look so fair and elegant.

"My lady, you look sumptuous!" Ingrid smiled and walked in.

Una blushed and smiled back.

"Really? I feel like I ate a feast with all this on me!" Una laughed.

"My lady, you look like the one who's receiving the crown today, not that old crone!" Ingrid said back as she ran over to the bed to lay down the chalk and berries. Then she walked over to the wardrobe and added ago Una's clothes.

Una noticed that Ingrid herself had changed her clothing. Her mundane peplos was exchanged for a bright yellow one. She had on a long fitted white gown underneath it like Una. It appeared that everyone was fixing up for this event.

"Oh, I brought you some berries and chalk," Ingrid said, sprinting over to Una to hand them to her.

"Thank you, Ingrid," Una said as she bit down on a large cherry,

Ingrid watched in horror as Una spat the pit out in her hand and popped another cherry in her mouth.

"My lady! You'll get that all over your dress! Spit them in my hand."