Chapter LIX ✠ Hawk Eyes

Njord was helping Una put on her armor. It was nothing like Una had worn before. She was used to her thick leather and maille armor. This was lamellar, a type of armor that was a hybrid of chain mail and small iron plates fastened together. She had only seen it twice in her life. Once when Njord came as a friend to Snowdonia, the other was when he came to kill her family.

Now Una stands next to Njord as an ally in battle. She had to swallow her pride. She knew that forgiveness was more challenging to do than revenge. Njord was vulnerable at this moment, helping Una. His tunic was off, down to his bare pale skin. He was in his trousers and boots.

Underneath their tunics would be an additional layer of chain mail. Perhaps this was why it was so hard to cut through Vikings and Danes. They always seemed impenetrable. It was only their necks, armpits, and under the belly that was most vulnerable. Una sees that now, the way the armor lays on her body.

"You must make sure it is not too tight, or you will be pinched," Njord said, loosening some iron rings around Una's shoulders and chest.

She couldn't believe he was touching her. She could gut him right now like the pig he was, but Una could not let her anger get in the way at this moment. She had to save it for the battlefront. They had been riding down for two days now, and at any moment, they could bump into the Mercian army of the Pendragons. They are currently gathering and dressing in the gear they need to fight the Mercians.

"I sent an eagle out to Wessex. We haven't heard a word back from King Gareth." Njord said, pulling the tunic under the lamellar taught.

"What do you suggest we do until we hear word back?" Una asked as she clenched her jaw, feeling Njord's tight grip pinching her skin.

"We cannot proceed to press from the north until we have allocated them. Until then, I suggest our men lay low. You look very tired, Una. Perhaps after we fit this armor for you, you should take a rest and sleep." Njord suggested as he twisted a ring into position on Una's shoulder.

"You look like you could use some sleep as well," Una said, peering into Njord's ice-blue eyes.

They made Una shiver. They were so cold and intense, like a rabid wolf. He acted as such, being very quiet and guarded. He only acts when he needs to, and otherwise, he hides away until he needs to strike again.

"I find being well-rested before battle to be a more insurmountable challenge than the battle itself." He smiled.

"Maybe it's the guilt in your mind that war evokes before the battle." Una scoffed.

"That was the past, Una. You will never let me forget that day, will you? Just let it die already." Njord said as he twisted a plate tighter.

"Not until you die," Una said bitterly.

"Is any way to talk to someone who could have killed you ten times over already?" Njord snickered.

"Is that any way to speak to the sole survivor of the Elisedds of Gwynedd? You did a sloppy job at making sure you got all of us." Una said.

"Una, I considered your father to be one of my greatest friends. And like all great friends, they are also your greatest enemy." Njord smiled unapologetically.

"You took it a little too far, didn't you," Una said emotionless.

Njord said nothing but began to take off Una's armor.

"It'd done. Go rest now." Njord said, averting Una's stare.

There was a long silence as Una held her armor in her arms.

"Thank you, Njord, for helping me," Una said, clenching her jaw.

Njord looked at Una, confused at her gratitude.