Chapter LVII ✠ The Sowing

Alaric carried Una back into the castle. Her wet dress dripped across the floor as they made their way through the long and dark stone halls. Una was shivering from the cold. Alaric was too. This night was one of the coldest nights Alaric had ever felt before. He had never been this far north before, not since his birth at least.

"Here," Alaric said gently, setting Una down on her feet.

"Thank you," Una mumbled.

The little oil lamp was still lit in the corner.

"How did you hear me, having that dream earlier?" Una sighed as she took off her damp outer dress.

"I couldn't sleep. I figured you couldn't either, so I came to see if you were still awake ."

"Came to talk to me? I didn't think you would talk to me again after I was lamenting so much. That's what mead does to me. I just wanted it to help me sleep." Una smiled.

"It's hard to sleep on nights like these. I don't blame you for drinking. I could use some mead myself." Alaric laughed.

"I've just been very oversentimental lately," Una admitted.

"Well, you have a reason," Alaric said softly.

He turned and walked to the door.

"Well, if I don't get a chance to see you off tomorrow, I guess this is goodbye, queen Una."

Una furrowed her brow and looked up at Alaric.

"You're serious. That's it?" Una laughed.

Was he trying to act mellow dramatic, Una thought?

"What do you want me to say, Una? No amount of words could express how much you mean to me. Words are meaningless now. I can't stop you from leaving." Alaric sighed as he stood in the doorway.

"Are you mad at me?" Una asked with a laugh.

Alaric sighed deeply again and turned around.

"Frustrated, more me than you." He admitted.

"Why?" Una insisted as she walked over to him.

"Who's going to look after you in battle. What if you get hurt?" He seemed concerned.

"You forget I'm a healer too. If there's one thing I can do better than putting men down, it's mending cuts." Una said with a soft grin.

Alaric nodded his head and pursed his lips.

"You know I'll come back," Una said faintly.

Alaric nodded his head again.

"You're kidding yourself," Alaric said.

"Of course I will! Why would I not?" Una exclaimed.

"You've been away from home for far too long. I'm not talking about Wessex."

"There's nothing left there for me," Una said.

"You'd abandon your people?" Alaric asked.

Alaric crossed his arms and sighed.

"My father left for war for almost a year, and the kingdom held up. It's not easy to get past the mountains. It keeps the enemy out and the ally in." Una said.

"Njord made it through fine. How do you know after this war that he won't pay you a second visit?" Alaric exclaimed as he pointed at Una.

"Njord won't live through the final battle. He is too old and sick. This is his final battle, so when I win, the good name of Northumbria could be restored to Bryttania. I think he knows this, that's why he's going with me. There won't be an opportunity like this ever again. He must atone for his sins, and the wages of his sin is death." Una said.