Chapter XLIV ✠ The Game

Una found a tear falling down her cheek. Gareth had delivered one of the most profound motivational speeches for this war that Una had ever heard. Everyone here was a part of his three-hundred strongest in his great army. The entire hall was up in a roar, so loud that Una thought the glass in the room would shatter. Everyone was waiting for this decree. They were finally going off to meet the Pendragons this night. After a long two months of brutal training, this is what they were waiting for.

After the month of sacrifice, they had hoped they would go off to battle before first yule. Now here they were in north Wessex, in the heart of it all. They had journeyed north to meet with Llewellyn and Sion again. They lived in the second largest and strongest castle in Wessex. It would be the ideal place to be. However, Gareth ordered that Llewellyn leave with Sion for safety in the south. They traded castles.

Gareth ordered his wife to stay as well. He could not trust her being here. She would surely betray her kingdom and go home to her king's father. Gareth's army, as well as Laurel's army, had merged as one. Llewelyn's eagle that stayed behind, Zorya, had returned with a message from the north-east towers. The garrison had declared that the Pendragons had been scouted, moving south and quickly.

Luckily though, everyone has had their shields and armor ready for a long time. They had been waiting so patiently for this moment. The pressures of the wait had been driving everyone mad. Everyone was wearing their armor, even Ingrid, who had gained enough flesh and strength to fill out her chainmail. She looks like a completely different girl now. She no longer appeared as a thin girl but as a strong woman warrior to be reckoned with. As Una suspected, she was an archer and a lethal one now too. She could slice the stem off the top of an apple without piercing its tender flesh with her arrows. Even more impressive was Alaric. He had become just as deadly with a bow and sword. He was as strong as Laurel now and Gareth.

Una couldn't be prouder of the army they had created.

Una didn't like the tactic of breaking down her men to create blank slates out of them to do her bidding. Una taught Gareth how to allow the strengths and talents of each individual to flourish. If they could not use a bow well, give them a sword, if not the blade, a spear. If even a spear did not work, killing a man even with a shield or a club is easy. Everyone was unique, and that is what made Una's army so formidable.

Una suggested bringing in her army, but Gareth indicated that they create a stronghold near Offa's dyke. That would be enough to surround them. The great armies of Wealas agreed to Gareth's terms, but they would not intervene directly with the troops of Wessex and Mercia.

"Ready the horses! We have no time to waste. It is the time!" Gareth said.

Everyone began to frantically pour out of the room in anticipation of this moment. Across the north of Wessex, three-thousand men were waiting for this call. They soon mounted their great steed and swelled the lands of Mercia, pushing the Pendragons back where they belong.

Una stood up but waited. Gareth had asked that Laurel, Ingrid, Alaric, and she would stay behind. Ingrid was the best archer. She would control that division. Alaric was obviously the best healer and would run the tents for the wounded and all other physicians. Laurel was best with spears, and most of his men were best apt with them. Una was best with the sword, so that she will be leading the front with Gareth. Gareth was the brains of these forces. After all, he was the king, and like his father, Gareth was incredibly diplomatic and tactful.

Una watched as the men passed her by, many of them giving her a nod and smile. She watched as the crowd slowly dispersed, and it was just them who were left. Gareth, Laurel, Ingrid, and Alaric were at all different corners of the room. They all peered at each other, waiting for Gareth to approach. Una could feel the anxiety grow in the room. They all were calm, yet inside they cowered with terror. For Ingrid and Alaric, this was their first war. Una can relate to how terrifying it was for her. Una could see that they were relatively calm, but underneath they shook like newborn lambs.