Chapter XXXV ✠ The Merging

Una and Gareth finally made their way out to the stables. Gareth was saddling his horse when Una went over to Gwen to get her ready too.

"Just ride with me," Gareth shouted over.

Una could see the stable boy look at her and then Gareth with much confusion.

"Alright," Una said as she patted the muzzle of Gwen and walked over to Gareth.

Gareth helped Una up on the massive steed. The stable boy was staring a hole into Una.

"My king, who is this woman? Where are you going?" He asked.

Una sighed, but at least the word was not out.

"A very, very important lady. We are journeying to the forest." Gareth said as he got up behind Una.

"I see. Do not stay out too late. Some monsters lurk in the woods" He smiled.

"I shall be back soon." Gareth declared as he nudged the horse into a gentle canter with his stirrup.

Una could see that dusk had fallen and was replaced by the almost full moon's radiant light as they rode off. She held close to Gareth and could feel the cold metal of his armor against her arms. She recognized this armor. Idris wore it the first time Una, and he met. He had come to meet Una's family. They were living near the coast and not in the mountains at the time. Idris had come to offer King Cynan aid as well since the Vikings kept coming for his kingdom. Una remembers that she was very young. The memory feels like a series of pictures rather than a cohesive series of events. Una had spotted him first. She was playing in the forest with Eurion when king Idris approached. Eurion ran away, but Una stood there, mesmerized by the beauty in front of her. He had blood on his cheek, and yet he was still beautiful. He knelt and offered a bouquet of wildflowers he had picked in the field to her. At first, Cynan saw him as a threat, but Una grabbed on to Idris's leg and begged her father not to kill him. The blood on his cheek was from beheading a Viking warlord. Una was wise that day to protect Idris. From then on, their bond was inseparable.

"His armor suits you well. Why are you trying it on?" Una asked as they made their way deep into the forest.

"I have something I must tell you as well." He gulped.

Una knew that for such a lovely and mild evening, only darkness could come of this night. Gareth halted his horse once they had stopped in a clearing. There was a ring of tall stones in the middle of the clearing and the middle a large rock slab. The sound of a pin could be heard. There was no wind. Not even the sound of the ocean could be heard through the thickness of the forest.

"What is this place?" Una asked as Gareth slid off behind her.

"It's an old place. My father said the Celts used to use this place for their religious practices." Gareth said softly.

"I'm surprised it hasn't been destroyed," Una said.

"We believe it is cursed with evil. Anywho touch it are bound by darkness until the end of their days." He said, gazing at it.

"Have you touched it?" Una jested, pulling down a branch in her hand.

"It appears that circumstances would make this appear as if it is true."

"What circumstances do you speak of?" Una asked as she looked down and slid off the horse.

As she slid down, Gareth caught Una in his arms and gently let her down. Before Una could say thank you, Gareth grabbed her waist and arm and pulled her close to him. Gareth bent his neck down and twisted his head until his lips collided with Una's. Una felt disassociated at first as if she were watching from afar. She could not rationalize why Gareth was kissing her and why she was kissing back. Gareth finally pulled back to catch a breath, but he did not let Una speak. He plunged his lips across Una's soft lips again. He had never kissed anyone with so much fervor before. He wanted Una so severely, but he knew he could not have her. Una felt her heart flutter, and she felt light and airy, euphoric in a way. She had kissed people before, in a friendly way, but never anything like this. Una could not stop herself. She grabbed his neck and pulled him closer. He was so inviting and warm and beautiful. She knew it was wrong, but Una felt that it was correct. It was the honesty of her heart speaking through her flesh.