Chapter XXXII ✠ The Crown of Tears

Una found herself gazing at a sizeable tanned animal skin, marked with the various locations of Bryttania. This was a map she had seen before. This was the map of the last battle that Idris and Una had joined forces for. A great line was traced with soot from the kingdom in Wintacaster to Wales, the name of the land Una hails from. Una herself had marked the line from Idris's domain to a kingdom south from Una's grounds. They had offered aid against the East Anglians.

In exchange, the relationship between Wessex and the lands of Wealas could grow strong against the cold relationship with Mercia. They could also offer their aid if east Anglia decided to trespass into Wessex again, trying to take over. They had won the battle that day. This was the only map that didn't have blood on it. It was a day of peaceful negotiations. It was a battle of the wits, not wrath. Una smiled when she remembered this. Only a king like Idris would revel in alliance rather than fight, but that was the way the peaceful king was.

Una stood there staring at it, trying to distract herself. Una was told that she would not be allowed to see the coronation of Gareth. It was a Christian ceremony, and only Gareth's immediate family and the church could witness it. Una was heartbroken in a way, but she remembered how it was for her coronation. No Christian was allowed to witness her coronation in the presence of the Gods. Una can see now how her life has evened out. Everything she has cast out has come back to her in different ways, but with the same sting. Being barred from Gareth's coronation was a taste of her own medicine, a medicine that had a bitter taste lingering in her mouth.

"Lady Una!" A voice called out to her.

Una turned around to see who it was.

"Come quickly!" The voice said in the corner near the hall.

Una walked over and peered around.

"Hello?" Una said.

"You must be quiet!" A voice said in the distance as Una followed it.

"Hello, who goes there?" Una whispered as she came to a stone staircase.

Una could see very faintly in the dark that it was Ingrid, motioning for her to come up the stairs. Una followed and met up close to her.

"These are shortcuts used by the servants so we may not disturb our lords and ladies." She whispered.

"It's so dark. What do you want me for?" Una asked quietly.

"You wish to see the coronation, right?" Ingrid smiled.

"Yes!" Una declared softly.

"Okay, when I open the door, crawl on your hands and knees until we make it out of the line of sight. Follow me, lady Una." She asked.

"Okay!" Una whispered and shook her head.

A wall blocked the door opening view, but once past, there was only a small ledge and a rail no taller than a leg's length. Una and Ingrid crawled out of the door, opening it slowly enough where it would not creak. Ingrid led the way. As they crawled out, Una could hear the voices of praise and words of Latin being spoken. When they finally made it on the other side, Una and Ingrid took off their veils so the white would not draw attention.

Una and Ingrid slowly peered over the edge and looked down. Gareth was on his knees at an altar, bowed down. They had just finished a Christian communion. Hovering above Gareth was a man in all white, with a strange tall hat. In his hands was a crown of gold with gems and pearls. In Gareth's hand was a scepter of equal grandeur and in the other was a golden cross. Kneeled next to him was his wife, Wilona. The man in white was chanting Latin verses. Una knew Latin well, but the man was speaking so fast she could hardly keep up.