7 - In confession

Matt's POV

Matt's POV

This was it. Matt was going to confess his feelings Zye. How he planned it wasn't what he thought in the beginning, but it would hopefully work out. It was now 6:30 pm, almost time for the sun to go down.

Matt walked his way over to the couch, where Zye sat. Tapping his shoulder, he then asked. "H-hey Zye.. want to go walk the dogs? I hear there are going to be fireflies.." Zye smiled softly and nodded. Matt went to the front door, grabbing the two leashes. He then called out for the pups, who bounced over to him. He latched the two leashes on and grabbed some treats from the bowl by the doorway. After grabbing his shoes, he stood at the door waiting for Zye.

"Make sure you don't let go of their leashes! They run quickly!" Darryl called out. Matt let out a Yep!, and Zye slid on his sandals and opened the door. Both walked out, the dogs bolting. Though they were tiny, they had a lot of strength.

I can do this.

Zye's POV

Zye watched as Matt tried to carefully pull the dogs back. He chuckled at the scene as they walked around the corner, which looked to be they were heading for the beach. Matt glanced at Zye for help, but the boy chuckled as they walked.

"You're no help.." Matt sighed. As they neared, Matt tied the leashes to the fence by the water. A forest leaped up right next to it, behind the houses lined up. Zye felt Matt grab his hand, turning his head and locking with the short boy's dark blue eyes.

"I've known you since I can remember, and how we met was on the playground, where you had pulled me up by the hand and took me to the washroom." Matt breathed quietly. Zye felt flush. Was he really doing what I thin-... his thoughts were cut off by Matt continuing. "We have been through it every step of the way.. and maybe it's time we drop our thoughts."

Zye felt his heart beat with confusion. What does he mean.. he began to speak. "Matt.." Zye whispered softly, glancing down at the boy.

Matt then took a breath, his grip tightening.
"Zye, I'm in lo-"
SNAP!

Both boys turned to the fence. Rat's brother was still attached, but Rat was racing her way toward the forest. "Oh no oh no.." Zye dropped his hands and raced for the little white dog and the pink leash with her. Matt grabbed onto the leash still attached, which looked close enough to snap as Rat's did. I'm such an idiot! I should've tied them tighter.. Matt thought to himself.

Matt chased Zye through the sand, which weakened his running. When he reached the tall boy, he had his hands on his knees, gasping for breath. "She went in there.. it would be too hard to look for her.. especially since it's getting dark.." Zye rasped.

"That means we have to go home.. and face Darryl.." Matt whispered with fear. Darryl would KILL them if he found out.

"Well.. we're dead.." Zye huffed. Matt picked up the other dog in his arms and closed his eyes in hope.

"I guess it's time to face the fire.."

Darryl's POV

Darryl sat on the couch, looking out the window into the starry sky. He was only able to see a few stars, but it was enough for him.

Creeek!

The front door opened. Darryl turned his head to see Zye and Matt walk in, their expressions too dark to read. He saw as one of his dogs walked in, but Rat didn't follow. Darryl felt a sense of panic, looking around the floor for Rat. "W-where's Rat?!" Darryl asked, his voice full of tension.

"W-we... we lost her in the forest. We tied her to a fence to talk.. and then she must've snapped the leash.." Zye said quietly, holding out a ripped leash. Darryl's eyes widened and he raced for the door. Zak ran after him and before he could get the handle, he blocked the way.

"Zak, move! Rat is out there all alone! I need to go look for her!" Darryl tried to move him aside, tears streaming from his face. "She's probably scared and alone... I don't want her to be killed by a plant or a coyote..!" Zak wrapped his arms around the taller boy and hugged him.

"It's too dark.. I.. we can look for her in the morning." He murmured into Darryl's shirt. Darryl's eyes closed as he sunk to the ground in defeat. Darryl felt more tears stream from his cheeks. I can't lose Rat.. she's my one and only.. his thoughts raced. "I promise.. you and I can go look in the morning. We should go to sleep. I bet Rat wants you to be calm."

"O-okay..." Darryl sniffled. Zak helped him up and walked him away from the doorway and into his room. Darryl slid into his bed and lifted the covers, embarrassed from crying. Zak sat at his side and sighed softly.

"We'll find her. I promise you I won't stop until the bisector in my photosynthesis stops." Zak said, trying to make him feel better.

Darryl groaned and chuckled. He pulled the covers down and looked into his eyes. "You meme too much your muffin top." Zak smiled softly, continuing to try and make him laugh.

After a while of jokes, Darryl slowly dipped to sleep. Zak felt his eyes get drowsy and stood up. He walked out into the hall and saw Mega sitting on the floor.

"I feel so bad. I should've tied it tighter." Matt whispered with guilt. Zak walked over and crouched down. He tapped the boy's head to grab his attention.

"Why did you tie them up anyways.." Zak asked, the boy flinching at his question. Matt rubbed his thumb against his palm, anxiety building inside of him.

Matt looked up at him, embarrassment and warmth filled his eyes. "W-well... I uh..." Mega began to whisper. Suddenly, Zak got it from that glance. He smiled and patted the boy's back with excitement.

"So.. you told him huh.."

word count: 1035