17 - Familiar

Zak's POV

Zak's POV

Zak sighs as he lies in his bed, his left hand lifted in the air by his face. He stared at his wrist, which was painful to the touch and hard to move. He closed his eyes and remembered how Gladys pinned him to the wall and twisted his wrist so hard it felt like she broke it. How she called him the f-slur and when Zak pushed her away from him. Zak exhaled with anxiety with his horrible thoughts.

Zak always had a small shy and quiet side to him, keeping his own pain to himself at times. In this case, it was one of them. Zak opened his eyes again and glanced down at Ranger who was curled up in Zak's navy blue bean bag. "Good boy Ranger.." Zak whispered as he shifted around to his side.

There was a knock at Zak's door, the creak of it opening softly. "Hey, Zak.." Clay's voice appeared, which gave a sense of relief come over him.

"Oh.. hey Clay," Zak said softly, shifting his body upright in his bed. As he pushed up, he felt the pain in his wrist grows sharper. "Ugh... I keep forgetting.." he murmured quietly. "U-uh... so what's up..?" Zak said quickly, hoping Clay didn't hear him.

"Oh.. nothing.. just bored sorry.." Clay responded, dropping into the light blue bean bag next to Ranger. Zak nodded softly, holding his wrist in his right hand. "Hey... I was wondering how you keep getting all those bruises.." Clay's voice cut through his focus.

Zak shook his head quickly and tried to push a small smile. "Eh, it's nothing. Just roughhousing too much.." he said, looking at his lap.

"Hm...well, okay.." Clay mumbled, heaving himself up. The boy began to walk toward Zak, and he looked up at the taller boy. He slipped into the seat next to him on the bed, Zak placing his hands away from direct view.

Suddenly, Clay grabbed the boy's chin, twisting Zak's head to the left. "H-huh..?" Zak stammered, his heart beating fast with confusion.

Clay stood silent and glanced softly at Zak's cheek. Shit! I forgot it left a scar... it's been a while since I've felt it hurt... Clay lifted his hand away and sighed softly. He shook his head and gave Zak a light hug. "Are you doing okay... do you need help.." Clay muttered into the boy's hoodie.

Zak felt his eyes tear a little, just about able to speak without a crack in his voice. "I-I... yeah... I feel that I should be fighting this battle.. by myself." Zak lied, not wanting to bother Clay with some dumb dispute with Gladys. "I'll be fine."

Clay lifted himself up from Zak and nodded. He smiled lightly before standing up and walking towards the door, Zak watching his steps. As Clay left, Zak felt lonely again. He limply fell backward in his bed and curled himself up, digging his face into his knees.