9 - Bond

Zak's POV

Zak's POV

"Just a little longer buddy," Zak said as he felt his fingers through the big dog's wet fur. Whining, the dog sat down and pulled back its ears. Zak turned the knob in the tub, turning off the water. He reached out for the towel at his side, lifting it around the pup's coat. He rubbed his hands against the cloth as it soaked up the water.

Darryl sat on the toilet cover and watched as Zak washed the dog. Once he lifted the towel, the big dog gave a big shake, making Zak fall back. Chuckling, he stood up and walked over to help get the dog out of the tub.

"One.. two... heave!" Zak said, lifting the front of the dog. Darryl guided the dog's legs to the mat on the floor as Zak heaved the other half over the edge.

"Have you checked if it was he or she..?" Darryl asked as he stood up. Zak sighed and shook his head.

"Of course not! We've been on an adventure and I don't really want to! If you're so interested then you check." Zak said, throwing the towel into the laundry basket. Darryl shrugged and lifted the dog's leg. The dog snapped and Darryl's leg go, backing away.

"Well.. it's a guy.. and it definitely didn't like its personal space touched." Darryl said, Zak, sighing as he threw a towel on Darryl's head. "Hey!!" Darryl protested, pulling off the town. Zak chuckled softly.

"You're such a dummy.." Zak sighed as he walked past the dog and the boy, heading for the kitchen. He rubbed his thumb against his palm as he began to walk to the kitchen. Suddenly he heard paw steps and turned his head. The German Shepard was a few feet behind him, looking up into his eyes. Zak opened his mouth to protest, but sighed and turned back. "Go ahead. Just don't hurt any of my friends.." He must've gotten a soft spot for me. As he headed into the kitchen, Vincent sat on the counter, eating a biscuit.

Vincent waved, and then his eyes widened at the sight of the big dog. "Woah... where did you find him....? In the forest with Rat?" He asked. Zak nodded, opening the door of the fridge. "What are you going to do with the dog?"

"I'll be taking him to the vet. They'll check him out, and I'll keep him until I find him a good home." Zak said, rummaging through leftovers. Vincent took another bite of his biscuit, staying silent. Zak grabbed a little cupcake from the back and glanced outside. It was dark, only pitch black through the windows.

The dog sat next to his feet, eyes with hunger. Zak looked down at the dog, smiled, and grabbed a bowl, pouring some of Rat's food in. He placed it on the floor, where the big dog gulped it all up. After finishing, the dog walked to his side as Zak threw away the cupcake wrapper.

"Goodnight Zak," Vincent called as the small boy walked out of the kitchen. Zak walked towards his room, the dog following him. He closed the door after the dog and slumped into bed. The big dog curled up on his blue bean bag, grunting as he lay down. Zak glanced over at the resting dog, his thoughts swirling.