chapter 22

Sunday, March 15th, 2020

7 months pregnant

When I woke up Kareem was up watching the news. He said "good morning mamas."

I said "good morning baby. You ok?"

He said "yeah I just didn't want to wake you up. I'm about to go to the store and rack up on a bunch of stuff."

I said "for what? I just went shopping on Friday."

He said, "they bout to put the whole USA on lockdown."

I said, "Kareem the fuck are you talking bout?"

He said, "you know the coronavirus shit?"

I said, "I thought it was just in China, Italy, and them."

He said "it's in the US now and to limit the effects that is what they bout to do. Effective on Tuesday so you want to make a list of things we need?"

I said, "pass me my laptop."

He handed me my laptop and I went to Walmart Pickup. I said, "what were you going to buy babe?"

He said "water bottles, toilet paper, paper towels, bath stuff, more snacks, etc."

I said "I'm going to put a pickup order in at Walmart so you don't have to be walking around. I'll let you know when to go, ok?"

He said, "ok Addie."

As I made my cart I made sure to include different medicines and other things we may need while being stuck in the house. After about 30 minutes I finished my order and submitted it. I got an email saying everything could be picked up in two hours. I got up and went to use the bathroom, while he was in the shower. I said, "baby you can pick everything up in two hours."

He said, "ok I'll just head there after we finish lunch then."

I said, "ok, I gotta pee." I used the bathroom then washed my hands going into the girls' room. 

They were both laying in their beds awake. I said, "what yall in here doing?"

They said "sleeping."

I said "wow, that's how yall wanna act? And I was just bout to make yall some pancakes.."

They both jumped off their beds and said: "yessss ma pancakes."

I smiled and said "mhm yall thought yall were going to get off easy. I'm telling."

They laughed and said, "no mommy no!"

I said "fine, come help me make pancakes then!"

They followed me down the steps and I grabbed all the stuff out to make our pancakes. I said "banana chocolate chip pancakes?"

They nodded so I made the batter and gave them the chocolate chips to put in the batter. I put a pan on and made them adding the bananas then more batter. When we finished making them, I made them each a plate with some whipped cream and some more chocolate chips and bananas as a garnish. I said "chocolate or white milk?"

They both said, "chocolate please." I made their milk putting it in their cups before handing it to them. As they ate I cleaned up a little then went upstairs.

I said, "baby, you want some banana chocolate chip pancakes?"

He looked at me and laughed a little, he said: "yeah, that's what you made them?"

I said, "yeah that's what their brother wanted and they just happened to agree."

He said, "girl, you are crazy but I'm coming down right now."

I smiled and said "ok."

I made his plate and did the garnish like I did the girls. I knew he was gon want coffee with his so I got it already. I put it in his spot at the table and then made my own. I sat down and ate with my chocolate milk. I was so hungry so I was fucking it up. Baby boy was kicking me so hard, I had to rub my stomach to soothe the pain. Kareem came down the stairs and Kay said "daddy we made you pancakes!"

I laughed and he kissed both the girls' foreheads before saying "thank you, guys. I love pancakes."

I said, "say ya welcome."

They both said, "ya welcome."

I wanted to cry cause my baby was lowkey hurting me. Kareem said, "you alright?"

I said, "yeah his ass just kicking me hard and it hurts."

He got up from eating and bent down next to my chair then rubbed my stomach while whispering into it and once my baby heard his voice he stopped. I got chills on my neck just seeing their relationship already, he's definitely going to be with his daddy a lot.

He got up and said "better?"

I looked at him with my mouth open a little, I said "yeah, you a whole womb whisperer out here."

He laughed and said "mhm that's my son. He already knows what it is."

I said, "wow you fake."

He said, "Kay use to do the same thing, so I'm just used to it I guess."

I poked my lip out a little and Mi said: "I never hurt you Mommy, did I?"

I said "nope you were my little calm baby, now you're brother? He has been beating me up."

Mi said "okay."

Kay said, "when is my brother gonna be here?"

I said, "bout two and a half more months, I look like I'm bout to pop right?"

She laughed and said "no silly."

We all laughed a little and just ate our food. When we finished I went upstairs and took a shower. I got dressed in a pair of grey shorts and one of Kareem's sweaters that was dark blue and said Washington, D.C. on it. It hugged against my belly and left me some room in my boob area which I needed. I had my hair in a messy bun and my glasses on. Today I wanted to clean so I told the girls to go to their playroom so I could get some cleaning done while Kareem was out. I started in the living room and cleaned throughout the whole house. By the time I finished cleaning it was around two o'clock and time for the girls nap. They ate lunch in the midst of me cleaning. So I washed my hands and then told them to lay down. I turned their white noise machine on and they were knocked out. I went into our room and facetimed Kareem.

I said, "Reeeem, where you at baby?"

He said, "girl I been gone how long?"

I said, "too long."

He laughed and said, "the pickup line was long as hell mama, and I went to see what the Walmart had left and it was nothing."

I said "wow, this is crazy... You think they are overreacting?'

He said "I don't know they talking bout its finna last til July."

I said "no baby, what about the baby? We gon have to go to the hospital to have him and to go to my appointments."

He said "Adeline, take a breath and calm down. So far, we are safe and have everything we need. If you want me to see what accommodations could be made so the doctor can come to our house we can. I'm not gon risk, you or my son's health for nobody."

I had tears in my eyes and I said: "I'm just scared now."

He said "Addie, last time I went to a hospital for a birth I lost Kay's mom. Don't get me wrong, she was not the love of my life but I did care for her and to see her lose her life birthing our daughter broke my heart. I refuse to go through that again, ok? You are going to be ok. Our son is going to be ok. Everyone is going to be ok, we just have to have faith ok?"

I had tears falling down my face and he said: "aye cut the crying babe."

I smiled and said, "ok Kareem I have faith."

He said "good, I'll be home soon to take a nap with you ok?"

I smiled and said, "ok I love you."

He said "I love you too baby. See you soon."