Chapter 12

(Photo of the bachelor party venue)

Jimmy P.O.V

"... and you're absolutely positive you don't at least want go out for a pizza or something? This is hardly the way to celebrate your sweet sixteen, babe", Danny tries to argue rather unconvincingly as he rolls himself up in a blanket on the couch.

"Nah! You, me, cookies and movies! Doesn't get much better than this to be honest", I chuckle and pick a random movie before snuggling up to Danny. As usual, my parents aren't home. Their work schedules at the hospital have been so crazy these past months, I've hardly seen them at all. Having said that, they did wake me up before their morning shift and we had a mini birthday celebration with some cool gifts and a pretty neat birthday cake... at 5am this morning. But it was still awesome.

"OK but at least come to Jeff's stag party with us tomorrow. Call it a late birthday outing. Besides, we all need a break from school and training. It'll be fun! Pleeeeeaaaaase Jimmyboy!"

"I'll think about it", I mumble as I press play and we start pigging out on my mini oreos and birthday cake leftovers. Coach would kill us if he knew! We've got racing season coming up and I'm supposed to be following a super strict diet next to my absolutely ridiculous training schedule (not gonna lie, I love it really). Now that I'm sixteen, I finally get to compete at international U18 championships, which is where I need to give it my all to keep impressing all the prospective sponsors that have been following my progress for the past two years. I can't wait for the season to start.

I look over to Danny who has performed his usual magic trick of falling asleep about ten minutes into a film, so I turn off the TV and head to the kitchen for a drink.

My phone buzzes. Probably more birthday wishes on Facebook from people I never really talk to.

I check my phone diplay. Messenger notification. From... him. My heart starts racing and my breath catches in my throat as I start reading.

Lexington Mars:
Hey Jimmy. Just a quick one to wish you a very happy birthday. Hope you have a great day and that you get to party hard with your family and friends.
Have a huge chocolate birthday ice cream (or two or three) for me.
Take care x

The message is short but it instantly makes my heart flutter and I can't help but smile. As I'm about to reply, I hear Danny stirring on the coach, followed by a loud thump. "Jesus fuck I did it again, didn't I? Why do you let me sleep through every single film?"

I just giggle and shake my head.

"It's Friday night, Danny. You wanna sleep here and finish my birthday cake for breakfast?"

"Now that's an offer I can't refuse, Jimmyboy".

*****

"Muuuuum, I'm heading out! Love you", I sing before pulling her into a tight hug.

"Have fun honey and stay safe", she whispers as she slips something into my back pocket. I reach into my pocket and feel a tiny foil package. Mortified, I stare at her but she just waves me off, giggling. Someone please shoot me now.

I leave the house and hop into Freddie's car. Danny has to pick up his brother, who is apparently completely oblivious to the whole party, and drop him off at the beach. So he's sent Freddie to pick me up on his way there.

We get to the party location at 7:40pm, Jeff is expected to arrive around 8. I'm super impressed with the venue, even if it does seem a bit over the top for a bachelor party.

"It's pretty neat, huh", I hear Freddie laugh as he pulls me over to the bar. He orders us two cokes and we sit on the bar swings (yes swings, this place is amazing!!) and chat about training and other random stuff. Suddenly, there's lots of applauding and cheering - I guess that means Jeff and Danny have arrived.

Jeff is beaming, so his friends obviously got it right! I mean there's even a DJ and food trucks here, which is ridiculously cool.

Danny joins Freddie and me at the bar, as Jeff gets called to the DJ booth, where he is handed a microphone.

"Hey guys! Uh, wow... I'm over the moon! I am so happy right now, I feel like I'm going to start crying any second! So before this turns all sappy and embarrassing, let me just thank you all for coming to celebrate my last weekend of 'freedom' and I hope you have a blast tonight! Oh, and a very special thanks to my gorgeous best friend and best man over there who, I am told, went to great lengths to get this incredible surprise set up. Round of applause for my man Lex, please".

Oh you've got to be fucking kidding me.