Chapter 28

Lexy's P.O.V

Don't let my son hear you referring to yourself as just a friend.

Is this guy for real?

As we walk into his office, he idly points at one of the chairs and I sit down. He leans against his desk in front of me and folds his arms over his chest.

"So, Mr Mars, we finally meet. I've seen photos of you but... seeing you in the flesh now, you seem, uh, a bit more mature than I expected. Of course, Jimmy's been a bit evasive regarding some points... he won't tell us how you met, either" he sighs. "Having said that, there is no denying that my kid has it bad for you. He's been walking around the house like a lovesick puppy for ages now. But I'll admit that recently, he seems happier... more open... relaxed... balanced nowadays. I do need to ask one thing, though... and when you meet my wife, I need you to assure her that I was really protective and threatening when asking you this, got it?" Yeah, ok, this guy is nuts. I have no idea what's going on right now but I nod l anyway.

"Ok then, Mr Mars. Listen very carefully because I shall ask this only once. What are your intentions with my one and only son?"

I look at him in shock. He's not pissed? No further digging at the age gap? Or, I don't know, comments about his one and only teenage prodigy son being gay for a simple longhaired biker? Still, no one should have to have this kind of 'meet the dad talk' unprepared.

Before I can even respond, Dr Davis bursts out laughing. "Oh my, you really gotta chill, son! I'm just messing with ya!"

I open my mouth to speak but decide against it. This guy is insane.

"Look Lex, can I call you Lex? As I said, it's really clear as day that my son likes you... a lot, there is no denying that. If you promise me that he is not being pressured in to whatever it is you two have going on and that you are treating him with care and respect, and that you will continue to do so, then that's all I need. I just want to see my son happy."

"Dr Davis, Sir, I can assure you that I care deeply about your son and that I have never, nor will I ever, push or pressure him in any way, shape or form. He was the one who pursued me for a long time before I agreed to give him a chance. And he will always be the one defining the pace of our relationship. Sir, your son means the world to me and I will do everything in my power to make him feel happy, safe and  loved - always. Now, if you don't mind, I'd really like to go and see Jimmy..."

I start to stand up but he motions me to stay where I am, whilst continuing to stare at me with an indecipherable look on his face. Then suddenly, his entire face breaks into a genuine smile. "Sounds good to me, Lex. Um, I should probably be giving you a talk about not distracting Jimmy from school and his sports career, but I guess that doesn't really matter anymore at this point..."

I give him a confused look but he waves me off. "Sorry Lex, that's a conversation you should be having with my son."

I raise an eyebrow and he sighs, rubbing his fingers through his hair. "Lex... uh... Jimmy is going to leave for France in three weeks. Despite his accident, a big European sponsor is willing to take him on and even cover his medical bills if he signs a two-season contract with them. Of course, he wont be able to train yet, but he will travel around with the junior team at weekends and have the chance of going to a renowned sports college in Paris whilst he's over there. This is a huge deal to him."

"It's a huge deal to me too, Sir. I know this is what he's been training so hard for and I'd never get in the way of that if that's what he wants to-"

"No, Lex, I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I'm not asking to you stay away or anything like that. I just want to give you a heads up. Jimmy might not know how to bring this up without feeling guilty of abandoning you here... or something like that."

I huff and run my hands over my face... before standing up and shaking his hand.

"It was nice to meet you, Sir. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check on my boyfriend now".

"Sure thing", he chuckles. I'll walk you to his room."

____________

A/N

Hey luvvies,
Really sorry for the slow update. As you know, I've been abroad for the past 7 weeks and had set myself the challenge to finish 'Why we can't be'  before coming home. I completed it last night and I'm pretty proud of it, so please go check it out if you haven't already. Dont be fooled by the number of chapters - it's a quick and easy read ;)
Love Kei x