Ch. 18 Revelations

Mulan stood guard outside the doors of Red's chambers.
Truthfully, the real reason she guarded those doors, day after day, night after night, was more for the fact that if Red needed her for anything, she could be there for her. Rather than actually needing her as a guard - it's not as though much really got through The Queen's palace gates to begin with.

So, there she sat in the hall, for the time being, her heavily armored back against Red's door. In her hands she held one of her blades, in the other, a beautiful bright red apple - plucked fresh from one of the Queen's very own apple trees.

As she peeled the apple, Mulan could smell it's tart, sugary sweetness float up into her nose every time the sharp edge of her blade sliced into the fruit, separating the skin from its firm, pulpy flesh.

Just as she opened her mouth to take her first bite, Mulan heard the faint whisper of a sob, or a cry coming from Red's chamber.
Pausing just before sinking her teeth into the fleshy fruit, she thought to herself, "..is that Ruby? Could she be hurt??"
Tossing the apple to the floor and keeping her knife close, Mulan stood up. She put her face to the door - cracking it open just enough to be able to see inside.
Seconds later, Mulan's eyes fell upon the beautiful young woman; Sitting at her vanity with her head in her arms, sobbing. Her long, tumbling brown curls bouncing with every sob.
Mulan took her breath in, and quietly entered the room, closing the door behind her, "Ruby," she said quietly, "are you alright?... I heard crying outside the door.."
Red did not answer her, she only continued to cry more.
"..Ruby?" Mulan continued, taking a few steps closer.

Ruby?" Mulan continued, taking a few steps closer

"..Yes..I'm.. I'm fine, I'm fine!" Red replied between sobs.

"I.. it doesn't sound like it." Mulan replied, standing now just a few feet away, "won't you tell me what's happened? Perhaps I can help.."

Red took a few deep breaths and wiped the tears from her face. She then turned to face Mulan, and forced a half smile on her face, "I don't know how you can help me! Especially with The Queen."

Mulan furrowed her brow

Mulan furrowed her brow. Her intense hatred for Regina grew stronger every time her name fell from Red's lips,
"Ah, so it's The Queen you need help with then," Mulan answered, "what has she done to you?"