Chapter 8

*ok so I know that pic does not relate to this story whatsoever but he is literally so precious wtf. He's just too fucking cute*

"Tsubaki. Isn't that a type of flower ?" You questioned.

"Ah, yes. It's Japansese for Camellia." Your grandma replied with a sweet smile before turning to the window. "Do you still play piano ?"

You were surprised for a second before you answered, "I play sometimes, but I haven't don any performances or competitions in years."

"Hm. You still remember all that your grandpa taught you then, eh ?" You gave a small nod. You hadn't talked about your grandpa in a long time.

~Flashback~

"You're pounding the keys too hard", your grandpa stated from beside you. You moved your hands from the keys so he could take over, "This song is meant to be played lightly, like cherry blossoms drifting with the wind."

You listened intently as he started playing. The sound was beautiful, gentle happiness yet with a touch of sorrow. It enveloped you and you closed your eyes in peace. You opened them when he stopped playing.

"Now you try", your grandpa smiled down at your small 8 year old form. You grinned up happily and turned to the piano. You started playing, but you could tell something was off. It sounded like the score, however it sounded too stiff. No emotion. You stopped playing, frowning.

"It doesn't sound right, grandpa. I mean, I know I'm playing the song right, but it sounds...... kind of robotic. I don't know how to explain it." You slapped your hands on your cheeks in frustration. Your grandpa hummed, in thought before turning to you.

"How do you want to play this song ?" Your grandfather questioned you. You tilted your head, confused. "Do you want to play it happily ? Sorrowfully ? Or a mix ?"

He could tell you were confused. "Rather than playing for yourself, play for those you love. The people who supported you through life. You'll have a more complete feeling and sound while your playing."

You looked at the piano thoughtfully before nodding your head. You played the song again, but this time thinking about your family and friends. Once you finished, you turned to your grandpa, to find him with tears in his eyes. He wrapped his arms around you and hugged you tightly.

"That. That would make her so proud." You peered up at your grandpa puzzled as tears streamed down his face.

"Who grandpa ? Don't you love grandma ?" You inquired.

"Of course. I love your grandma very much. I had been talking about Kaori. My first love."

~End of flashback~

"Did...... did you like grandpa playing music ?" You asked your grandma. She looked slightly surprised before smiling a little.

"When I was young, I hated him playing music. Now, I really miss it", your grandma looked wistful.

"Why did you hate it ?"

"Because it was the one thing I couldn't help him with. I felt left behind. Music was the thing that took your grandpa away from me for awhile. Not to mention, Kaori also did music, so that made me envious." Your grandma looked closed off, signaling that she didn't want to talk about it anymore.

"Wait. One more question", you pleaded. Your grandma looked at you out of the corner of her eye. "What was grandpa's real name ? I never thought to ask that either."

Your grandma looked taken aback before smiling. "Arima Kousei".

That surprised you. You should've known sooner. No wonder he was so good at the piano. You cursed yourself for being oblivious to everything as a kid. The rest of your family chatted with your grandma while you admired the scenery of Japan from up high. You were pretty happy until your stomach rumbled.