Part 14

Liam paused and started to turn around skipping eye contact with me and just straight to Mateo. Neither was backing down, I stood silently unsure of how to handle the situation. Mateo cannot come up with us, otherwise, it will be hard to talk between Liam and I. 

Knowing that, Liam gently pushed past me on his way to Mateo. Mateo stood tall and confident not flinching as Liam approaches him. I spun around to see what my brothers were doing, accidentally I caught eye contact with Noah. He looked curious by the situation unfolding yet he sat placidly on the couch like he was waiting for something. 

Rest of my brothers followed suit once they picked up what Noah diverted his attention towards. For once, all eyes were not on me but instead Liam and Mateo, reflecting their deep stares on each other like some competition. Guys really care about their pride, don't they?

Liam was now standing opposite Mateo, 'take a seat, she doesn't need any bodyguard when she is with me' he seethed keeping his stance up. I know that Liam can become really protective of me and in this case, it was clearly heightened since Mateo doubted him in my company. I get it, since nobody else in this room knows that around 12 years ago was actually not the last time we saw each other, but I think it hurts Liam for people to not know how he looked after me all these years and is my best friend.

'You are just a bodyguard, remember that when you try this again' Liam added coldly but proudly as he asserted his dominance. 

Liam has always been nice and caring towards me but now that I see him put others down it sparks disappointment, disappointment that after the many times I've told him to just take a breath he still feels the need to assert his power and belittle others who question it, something that my brothers seem to do every day but on a bigger level. 

Even though I just met Mateo, I felt bad considering it looked like he had to just take it, not being able to argue back because of status because surely a bodyguard isn't high in the ranks. The ranks of the 'business' that is. 

However, to everyone's surprise, Mateo dared to speak 'I have a job' his voice came out smooth and confident like he was standing his ground. Liam didn't look impresses at his ongoing confidence, he was probably dying for him to back down and retreat so he understands his place. 

'You're right, you do have a job' Liam mutters smirking directly at Mateo who's face looks puzzled. 

'Can you guard my glass?' he said taking one last drink of water from his glass and loudly placing it on the kitchen bench beside them. Kai's laugh caught my attention as did my brother's reactions, all staring at the scene unfolding between Liam and Mateo. 

Realising that all my brothers were intrigued by what was happening, Mateo let out a huff of defeat. 

'Great, knew you were good for something' Liam's sarcastic voice resonated through the room as he turned to meet me and go up the stairs. 

Before we left, once again another voice interrupts our movements, 'Liam, 10 minutes' Noah raises his voice so it'd be clearly heard, Liam replied with a nod then we finally were alone. I close my bedroom door and lock it. 

---

'10 minutes to what?' I ask sitting down on one side of my bed and him on the other. '10 minutes till we have a meeting in his office' he replies. I nod in response. 

---

'Sierra, I'm so sorry about your mother, I know we were prepared but it's still heartbreaking' Liam's voice was genuine, his comfort was something that I missed since this all happened. 

'Thank you, I know she's in a better place and I spent as much time as possible with her before.' I take a breath 'the funeral is just for family but of course you can come, it's at a private garden next week, the private garden is my brother's choice' I said keeping myself strong, holding back my usual emotional response when mentioning my mother. 

He listens and somehow always knows when to just let the response be, and not ask anything to follow up. I needed to get it off my mind and he knew that.

'Okay so update me, I haven't had my phone so I'm clueless' I start. 'OK, so after the whole Jeremy situation at school, it managed to get them on the path of the Italian mafia which was easy considering Jeremy is associated with them in his file. I've spoken with Enzo and he's confirmed that the Italians are contemplating how to deal with the threat by Noah. I will do my best to influence how he deals with this and I'll be around more often so I'll make sure to loop you in then' Liam explains to me, it's been months of planning this and now that it's all going to plan is the cherry on top. 

'That sounds good, what are we going to do about Mateo?' I question him pointing to downstairs. 'I will deal with him when he's here but you and Jeremy will have to keep a low profile and distance so he suspects nothing at school, however since I don't know him that well, I will talk to Noah about all of this' he responds, the way he assures me that everything is fine and he is aware of all that's happening really helps me calm down. I don't want to have to get to the point of having to tell my brothers but with all their overbearing personalities I have to be prepared if they catch on. A long time I have lived without them and without constant eyes on me in the house. 

Mum, Enzo, Jeremy, Liam and I have spent too long on this whole operation for my brothers to ruin it. Too long preparing ourselves to face him, confront him, finally. And surely if my brothers find out they will lock me in this house and bubble wrap me. 

We talked more about everything until I had the courage to ask, 'What if Noah finds out?'. He paused and a moment of silence passes, I could tell he was calculating what to say. 'Sierra, he won't and even if he did then I know that since he's your brother, he will always support you, so will the others, don't forget how important family is to him.' He replied softly and sweetly. Holding my hand, reassuring me that everything will be fine. 

'Thankyou Liam' I whisper out as my eyes threaten to leak, 'you mean the world to me' I smile through my now tearful face, 'you mean the world to me too' his voice soft and his smile reflecting mine. 

'One more thing though before I go' he adds before walking out, 'I'll be around early tomorrow for someone's birthday' he winks with his cheesy smile.  

'I completely forgot' I grin. 

I wonder if my brothers know...